Topsoil

• 3 Replies

GardenShed

• Experienced Member
Topsoil
« on: February 18, 2013, 10:01 »
Hi everyone, I've just taken on an allotment for the first time, which is mostly over grown but has a few raised beds on it.  I have made a start on one of them - picking out bits of grass, weed and litter.  However, I am confused about what topsoil is and do I need to add more of it...  I had to essentially dig over the bed to get weed roots out, turning clumps of soil over, sometimes more than a spade spit in depth.  But does this mean that whatever topsoil there is now all lost, mixed in and buried with lower soil?

All the soil in the bed looked dark. When I turned the earth a lot of was dark and mud like, sticking to my spade. So using a fork and spade I have done my best to break it up a bit, got rid of weeds, then raked it.  It looks good and I am going to addsome compost to it, but should I add topsoil?  When digging does topsoil just get buried?

Lastly, given that I will be hopefully using the beds in the next few weeks to grow potatoes, onions, garlic, carrot.. should I not add manure as I heard this can burn the crops. If so, when is actually the best time to add manure.  And when I start composting, Im guessing I should a bit of manure to the compost pile...?

Any help with this is apreciated!

Thanks.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2013, 10:02 by GardenShed »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Topsoil
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2013, 11:44 »
Topsoil is the usable layer of soil above the subsoil, and usually has some of the characteristics of the subsoil and the underlying rock (or clay!) It's the layer that roots can freely grow in before being obstructed by the compacted or solid material underneath.

The properties of any topsoil can be improved, usually by adding compost or manure, and sometimes adjusting the pH, but initially at least, the most important property is the depth - 6" would be the absolute minimum for even the shallowest rooting plants (but only if there isn't solid clay underneath because it would be a permanent bog.)

About 18" should be enough for most annual veg and the smaller perennial bushes, but more is even better.

You can manure now (and dig it in to the top 12" or so) as long as it is well rotted - it's fresh manure that can "burn" roots. Don't manure where you intend to grow root crops as it can encourage forking.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Stevens706

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2013, 13:00 »
I would be surprised if you reached the subsoil when just digging the raised beds, as JayG said just add some compost / manure and get them ready for sowing / planting.
Paul

Wiltshire Worms

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2013, 12:26 »
I agree..the topsoil is the happy growing medium that you can cultivate, dig rake etc.

you dont lose the topsoil at all by digging and you can improve this with compost and manures, you may need to add fertilisers to improve fertility

enjoy your plot and good luck

xx
Do I need topsoil?

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 22:58
by jaws8
xx
To add topsoil or not?

Started by Larissa68 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 22, 2021, 07:26
by hasbeans
xx
topsoil

Started by Deano27 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 12, 2007, 20:26
by shaun
xx
New Topsoil

Started by amandaandherveg on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2008, 13:03
by amandaandherveg

Page created in 0.58 seconds with 37 queries.