The 'clencher weeks'...

• 13 Replies

Growster...

The 'clencher weeks'...
« on: April 17, 2022, 18:28 »
So do we get the stuff into pots, or in the ground, or wait until the weather forecast says 'we can', and maybe lose some or lots of time?

Hardening off so much at this time of year is always a gamble! Luckily, here in the South-East, we're better off than a lot of gardeners, and here at 'The Turrets', we have a lot of protection from the South-West, but as we speak, I can hardly get in the greenhouse, and also have a temporary flyaway GH to keep tender plants in during the night, but you never really know, do you!

This weekend has been fabulous so far, and so much has been sown, potted on, watered, watched and cared for, but there's always the little bit of a tingle at the back of the neck, that something just might go wrong and we get a cold snap...

How does everyone cope with these 'clencher weeks'?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: The 'clencher weeks'...
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 20:54 »
 :blush: By not doing any seed sowing or planting until this week ...  :blush:
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Learnerlady

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 21:44 »
I didn't start sowing until about 2 weeks ago and have moved everything into a cold greenhouse this weekend now the weather has started to improve. Have planted the last of the second early spuds this weekend and will plant mains this week. Last year I sowed lots of both veg and annual flowers filling the dining room but all the seedlings turned out very leggy and so frail couldn't transplant and so had to start again at about this time of the year !! I always fret that "nothing is growing" but they mostly do

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 22:58 »
The new people on the plot next to me have planted out runner beans already  :ohmy:
I haven't even started mine yet, experience has taught me not to plant them until mid May. The newbies might have to learn the hard way  ::)

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2022, 23:09 »
The new people on the plot next to me have planted out runner beans already  :ohmy:
I haven't even started mine yet, experience has taught me not to plant them until mid May. The newbies might have to learn the hard way  ::)

My first year on the allotment I got away with a late March sowing of beans. Got bit on the bottom the next year trying the same, never again ;)

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2022, 06:02 »
Yup, we all seem to go through the same stages - more or less!

Yorkie, you're way North of us here, so it makes that much difference?

Our GH does have a heater, but to be honest, I was given it, and I don't know if it really does work on the anti-frost setting, as it would only come on around the time when I'm tucked up in bed! However, touch wood and whistle *peeeep*, nothing has got too cold  - yet!

The peas are already planted, and the sweet peas go in today, but like Mum, I haven't even sown the runners yet; I'd be given several clops by Mrs Growster if I mucked up that particular crop...

GraciesGran

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 07:36 »
Neighbour at the allotment has courgettes under glass and some runners.  I've got potatoes and sweet peas in and planted some fruit bushes.  Everything else is in windowsills  in the house.

rowlandwells

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2022, 17:17 »
we also have plants pricked into pots onion  brassicas and  more broad beans  that are all nearly ready to plant out on the allotments we have  already planted some brassicas peas and broad beans in some raised beds but we still have a long way to go planting out hopefully I can get the rest of the allotments cultivated tomorrow as we haven't planted  our onion sets and potatoes

also going to start sowing runner beans and squashes and some more brassicas talking about brassicas has anyone grew Robinson's champion giant cabbage as I thought I would give them a try

Clactonite

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2022, 19:06 »
Interesting comments so far and it shows the difference that geography (or how far North or South you are) makes to gardeners.  Although the clench is the same I'm sure.  I live a few miles inland from the Essex coast and we have a dry and sunny climate albeit a bit windy at times.  Too bl00dy dry most years. 
Sad to say, but I time my planting indoors by my birthday (7th March, which is also a signal for the weekend after that I "top" the grass).  For the greenhouse I sowed tomatoes, cucumber, and lettuce on the conservatory windowsill. I direct sow radish in the g/h and I also sowed sweet corn indoors for outdoor planting in early May.  They are about 40cm tall and in the greenhouse hardening off now.  I really liked John Harrison's advice on sweetcorn chitting.  I had 60% success which impressed me this year using the old one corn one pot method, but next year (typical gardener!) I'll follow John's idea. 
I planted my early potatoes when the apple tree got to bud-burst and when I harvested our first asparagus.  First week of April.  A better judge than the moon or the calendar in my humble opinion. 
Have just sowed Boltardy beetroot and carrot (Autumn King), and I've transplanted the tomatoes and lettuce to the g/h this weekend. 
Will wait until 2nd week of May for the Borlotti Beans and planting out of the squashes and sweetcorn
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 19:08 by Clactonite »

Longshanks

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2022, 19:47 »
I used to enjoy this time of year until I got an allotment a few years ago!!  Just waiting for the weather forecaster to say that tender plants will need a bit of protection. Last year, I promised I wouldn't start anything too early, but still have window sills and a greenhouse full of stuff. However, as my mate said don't plant anything out until cup final day.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2022, 05:48 »
Our 'Pentland Javelin' pots have just started to show, but as they're in the back garden, I can deal with any emergency frost warning, (I hope), and the rest is always shut up for the night in the GH and half-flyaway plastic affair on a raised area!

Luckily I've saved a few square inches of GH space by giving away the toms I've promised chums...

... with strict instructions to harden them off first!

Snow

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2022, 10:28 »
I just make sure to sow and plant at the right time for each crop. Won't do courgettes for another week or so, but I have started winter squash as they need a longer season. Will wait a bit for runner and french beans too. But I planted out all my frost  hardy veg a few weeks ago, things like onions, peas, lettuce, spinach etc, mainly sown end of february

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2022, 20:26 »
Yup, we all seem to go through the same stages - more or less!

Yorkie, you're way North of us here, so it makes that much difference?

Yes, that, yes, of course, definitely  :wub:

(Or, more precisely, I'm a disorganised wotsit  :wacko: :tongue2: :lol: )

Rob the rake

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2022, 00:25 »
I've only just sown the more tender outdoor stuff like runners/corn/French beans/squashes; they're germinating now, 5 days after sowing. Although the weather seems warmer overall in recent years, experience has shown that putting tender crops out before the end of May in this location is to court disaster. In periods of extended cooler weather I'd much rather pot stuff on and have the greenhouses ridiculously full than to chance planting out too soon.

Interestingly, I had a compost related sowing disaster last year and ended up re-sowing most of the above mentioned crops far later than usual...and had a bumper, if slightly later, harvest. The Incredible F1 corn lived up to its name, growing to almost 8 feet tall and necessitating the sewing together of two of the usual widths of crop protection netting to cope with the extra height. Consequently I've been in much less of a hurry this time out.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

xx
What do I do to prepare for my 2 weeks away?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 30, 2010, 14:44
by Babstreefern
xx
1st Earlies now over 14 weeks

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 13, 2012, 18:15
by Grubbypaws
xx
What can I plant in the next few weeks

Started by debih on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 10:31
by yummy
xx
What a difference 2 weeks makes!

Started by chillimummy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 22, 2015, 19:29
by chillimummy

Page created in 0.445 seconds with 44 queries.