hmmmm seem to not be using my composters correctly??

• 8 Replies

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
Hey all, so I've had a couple of compost bins in the back garden for a number of years and just keep adding to them and need a third, however thought I would have a look and break them up today. I have to admit I've not stirred them or anything for a number of years, just keep adding the grass cuttings, kitchen waste and the chicken coop waste including their manure to them.

Wondering what to do as there seems still to be quite a bit of straw throughtout a lot of it?
Thought maybe I could just leave it in its own pile as summers a coming (fingers crossed) and add cuttings and chicken waste to an empty bin then when full, turn it into the "outside" pile?

IMG_0453 copy.jpg
IMG_0454 copy.jpg
IMG_0455 copy.jpg

Christine

Re: hmmmm seem to not be using my composters correctly??
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2022, 15:44 »
They do need turning more often than you have been doing. Lot of standard advice here I fear that none of it advises just leaving the pile alone.

Paul Canning

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2022, 16:11 »
They do need turning more often than you have been doing. Lot of standard advice here I fear that none of it advises just leaving the pile alone.

Brilliant, I did do a search but couldn't find something specific. I know I needed to take a more active role in the composting but have to admit just couldn't be bothered, need to sort it out.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2022, 16:16 »
I'd use it as it is, just fishing out anything that's still too lumpy, and putting that back in the bin, it'll be ready for next year.
I always say I'm going to turn the contents out to mix them up, and then put it back in again, but never get round to it. Tipping them out and using what's ready, before putting back what's not, seems to be my default position, nowadays   :lol:

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2022, 19:08 »
I'd do the same as mum, bung it in/ on the ground, the worms will finish that lot off pretty quick.

Rob the rake

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2022, 23:37 »
If you have room for a third bin, try this (but you need a lot of waste to begin with.)

Fill two bins in the usual way, with a good mix of green and brown materials, if poss. The initial rot-down is fairly quick; in next to no time the volume will have reduced by half. At this point, turn the contents of both into a third bin and refill the empties. By the time the newly-refilled bins have shrunk by half again, the stuff in the 3rd bin should be pretty well-rotted and almost ready to use, leaving room to be refilled, and so on.
Granted, the method requires the availability of a goodly amount of composting waste, but it's wickedly effective, especially when the weather's good.
A calloused palm and dirty fingernails precede a Green Thumb.

cc

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2022, 11:10 »
I generally Bury my compost. Although it is always well rotted compost, to keep the weeds down I assume that taking at least 6 inches of topsoil of, putting in your compost and then put back the soil. Following year (if I remember) rotovate.
In the case of the OP's poorly rotted compost, this should work well. 
I also half fill all pots for seeds with my own compost followed by bought compost. Generally works well with minimal weeds coming through....obviously tomatoe seedlings are the exception!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 11:12 by cc »

cc

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2022, 11:41 »
These 8 free ingredients will bulk out your compost bin
By Huw Richards
On YouTube may be off interest to you.
Sorry can't work out how to supply the direct link.  But the title should work. Other interesting gardening tips from him.

Rob the rake

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2022, 02:08 »
These 8 free ingredients will bulk out your compost bin
By Huw Richards
On YouTube may be off interest to you.
Sorry can't work out how to supply the direct link.  But the title should work. Other interesting gardening tips from him.

Interesting video. Seaweed is awesome whichever way you use it and a fabulous growth stimulant. Compost made from 50/50 seaweed and fresh horse manure is pure gold! I used to collect coffee grounds from local businesses, which are quite happy to let you take it away; it makes quite a good mulch, too. Great advice about asking local restaurants for veg scraps, something which I'm likely to be doing in the near future. Interestingly, I've approached various supermarkets for veg waste, but they're unable to oblige, for whatever reason. It's a shame, since they must throw out large amounts of spoilt veg, you'd think.

xx
Council composters...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post October 09, 2011, 07:40
by New shoot
clip
Hot bin and Dalek composters

Started by pepsi100 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 24, 2023, 00:41
by pepsi100
xx
Sold Out??? hmmmm

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

36 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 21:04
by bluealf

Page created in 0.423 seconds with 38 queries.