Bare root strawberry deaths

• 3 Replies

Joe Hicks

Bare root strawberry deaths
« on: January 27, 2022, 17:17 »
Hi, I have just planted my fourth batch of bare root strawberries, having had three previous batches die, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice!

I have previously planted two batches of Flamenco (the second after the first died) and one batch of Albion (after the Flamenco died) (both everbearing), mostly in my greenhouse, but with some outside in the soil on my allotment. Those in the greenhouse have mainly been in the ground, but with some in large containers of soil-compost mix. So they've had quite a diverse range of planting conditions. However, all but one of the Flamenco and all of the Albion plants have died within a few weeks. In all cases the same thing happens: any green growth on the tops dies and the tops go soft/weak but not mushy (i.e. not rotten). When I pull them out the roots are all dark brown outside and in. When planting them I've ensured they are watered lightly and when I've pulled them up the roots are moist but definitely not soggy or dry, so seemingly a good balance. Also, the Flamenco are from one supplier and the Albion from another, so it seems unlikely it's just a "bad batch".

I've also previously successfully grown ~30 June-bearing bare root strawberries (planted in January a few years ago) on my allotment in the soil, and I've propagated many plants from those, so I don't understand what the issue is with these bare root strawberries. Luckily I've managed to get replacements each time, but I'm ready to give up and switch to pot-grown plants, although obviously they are much more expensive.

Any thoughts welcome!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Bare root strawberry deaths
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2022, 18:26 »
How disappointing for you.

Is there any common link between the ground locations and the soil used in the greenhouse / containers?

I'm wondering whether there's any replant disease going on or contaminant?
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Joe Hicks

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 22:07 »
No it's a separate source for soil in the containers and the soil in the greenhouse, which is the ground soil topped with compost, and those that went in the outside ground were at the other end of the allotment. I wondered if I'd been too cautious with over-watering but those planted outside got plenty of rain so it seemed more likely to be the plants, but then previously they'd all been from one supplier (and all Flamenco) but then the most recent batch of Albion were from a different supplier but today I've pulled them all out and they're totally dead. Very frustrating and confusing.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 22:45 »
Have they been planted following potatoes, or tomatoes? I lost a whole planting in the same way, because apparently....
Strawberries should not follow potatoes or tomatoes because both crops can infect the soil with verticillium wilt, a disease that seriously affects the growth of, or kills strawberries.

https://www.kenmuir.co.uk/image/data/pdf/Growing%20Guides/Strawberries.pdf

xx
Bare root strawberry plants

Started by Geordie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 06, 2018, 10:51
by DD.
xx
failing bare root strawberry plants

Started by 3759allen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 19, 2014, 00:15
by kermit
xx
Bare root veg

Started by Eblana on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post July 16, 2015, 19:32
by Eblana
xx
Bare root strawberries

Started by Plot30 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2012, 16:04
by Plot30

Page created in 0.413 seconds with 33 queries.