Dog attack

• 9 Replies

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
Dog attack
« on: December 18, 2021, 12:52 »
Three days ago, I was walking our terrier-dachshund mix (Murray) past a house we have passed hundreds of times before, less than 500 feet from our house, when out of the blue Murray was attacked by the rottweiler that lives at that house!  The dog snuck up on us silently from behind, and was on Murray before I even knew it was there (I always look at that house when I pass by, because the dog reacts badly whenever it has seen Murray before). Clearly, the dog was 'hunting'.

Murray was screaming, the rottweiler had him by the neck,  but I pulled him off of Murray before he got a firm grip. I had a grip on his collar, but the collar was so loose that the rottweiler slipped out of it. Murray was in the road, running in circles around me, chased by the rottweiler, with me chasing both of them, and yelling at the top of my lungs that the rottweiler was trying to kill my dog!

After what seemed like an eternity (but was more likely 2 minutes or less), the owner came out to get her dog under control.  Although she kept apologizing, I yelled at her anyway for having a vicious dog that was not under control and secured.

I feel fortunate, Murray came out of it seemingly unharmed. I was shaken, but carried Murray home, also apparently unharmed (remarkable considering I'm 64 and not exactly in my prime). I attribute part of our luck to the fact that the rottweiler is not walked much, might be in less-than-prime condition. Still, I said a small prayer of thanks that my little friend was safe! Even crazier, he wanted to continue our walk 15 minutes later! I obliged, with my son coming along, walking a different direction.

Believe me, I had a larger-than-normal Kentucky bourbon when we got back to the house.
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Goosegirl

Re: Dog attack
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2021, 13:10 »
That was a really lucky escape for both of you. Having been attacked by a collie dog who even jumped on my back when I was trying to escape on my little 50cc scooter it's not a nice experience at all. Glad you are both safe.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2021, 13:18 »
Glad you both recovered quickly, S-p.

I always carry a walking stick with me while out walking.  I don’t need it for walking but have used it once to fend off a dog. 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2021, 14:00 »
Aunty, I might start carrying a walking stick with me, or possibly make a shillelagh and carry that.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2021, 15:16 by Subversive_plot »

jezza

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2021, 14:17 »
Hello a good stout walking stick and a good pair of solid toed boots,hit its head first then a good kick in the goolies, I carry a wolf rake shaft with me when I enter a garden I'm uncertain of any dog gets it if it comes with in the six feet length of the shaft if the owner complained they get it twice as  hard then a stern warning that I  dont expect to have any dog come near me, I always check  if some one asks me to mow a new lawn for any sign of digestive been bitten 3 times once opening a 3 foot high garden gate didn't see the dog it grabbed my hand and put its teeth through it,I put thr mower back in the van and went to the hospital I charged the guy for his lawn and the others I missed,the other 2 were guard dogs that came put of a house and over a foot path and bit the back of my right calf i still have the puncture wounds they were reported to the police   I do like dogs if they keep themselves to themselves  jezza 

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2021, 15:22 »
I intend to better protect myself in the future.

Jezza I'm sorry for your past troubles with dogs!

I am actually less irritated with the bad dogs and more angry with irresponsible dog owners!

mrs bouquet

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2021, 15:30 »
OMG, thankfully not too much harm done, but the dog should be muzzled anywhere out of the house.   It could have been a child you were walking with.   Yes a good stick will certainly help.   Take care and love and kisses to pooch.    Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2021, 17:56 »
That's awful, SubP!

Thank goodness you took charge of the brute!

I hope you have laws in the US to deal with morons who keep vicious dogs - it used to be a common story in our local rags about brain-challenged idiots trying to show off with evil breeds!

(The only rottweiler I knew to speak to was a great lump of normality, and was like a lamb all the time)!

Christine

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2021, 19:04 »
99% of the world has no idea how to train or control a dog (wonder if they are any better with children?). Lot of the problems start when the dog is a new puppy (ahh - pretty) and the owner doesn't think that it has to be trained from the day it comes home. Not just to pee outside the house but the basic sit, stay, heel, come, oh and that useful command No. As well as to walk properly on the lead. I'd say that anyone who wants a dog should have to be trained and pass a test like with getting a driving licence.

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2021, 00:28 »
That's awful, SubP!

Thank goodness you took charge of the brute!

I hope you have laws in the US to deal with morons who keep vicious dogs - it used to be a common story in our local rags about brain-challenged idiots trying to show off with evil breeds!

(The only rottweiler I knew to speak to was a great lump of normality, and was like a lamb all the time)!

Thanks Growster

There are laws, but they are seldom enforced properly. I had another neighbor whose small dog was attacked by 2 'pit bulls' owned by another neighbor, and seriously injured (the small dog's owner was also injured less seriously). The pit bull owner got sued and lost because there were damages. But the pit bulls remain alive with the only restriction being that the owner can't walk both of the dogs unless here adult son is walking the dogs with her.

One of the dogs was loose and running around in front of my house less than a month ago.

xx
Spam Attack

Started by John on Chatting on the Plot

8 Replies
Last post January 04, 2019, 01:36
by Plot 1 Problems
xx
Critical Heart Attack

Started by mrs bouquet on Chatting on the Plot

19 Replies
Last post June 01, 2022, 06:32
by jezza

Page created in 0.251 seconds with 40 queries.