Trustees?

• 7 Replies

Pimento

• Experienced Member
Trustees?
« on: December 09, 2021, 18:22 »
Hi,

Please can anyone tell me if there’s a general defined role for trustees? What are their responsibilities generally meant to include?

Thanks in advance!

Pim.
I don't really look like my avatar.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Trustees?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2021, 22:48 »
It will  depend on the context, to some extent.

If in a charity context, the Charity Commission has some useful guides on roles / duties / responsibilities
https://www.gov.uk/topic/running-charity/trustee-role-board
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2021, 22:50 »
Thanks very much, Yorkie! I really just meant yer average trustee of an allotment society.

jezza

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2021, 06:49 »
Hello I've never understood what Trustees mean ,I always thought it was a cover term for folks to be on the fiddle and dip their hands in the pot   jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2021, 08:43 »
Hi Pim, I’m the chairperson of my local gardening club and over the last 2 & 1/2 years I’ve just renegotiated the lease on our members only store aka trading hut, it’s our building but on land we rent via a 28 year lease from the Parish council. In the updated & original lease it states that the signatories from the club are trustees of the club, and this will be passed on to others within the club. So I believe it just means I hold the office of chairperson & the other committee members the same & act for the good of the club & take reasonable care to keep the club financially viable etc & stick to the constitution of the club.
I know of your difficulties with your allotment,so maybe find out what the constitution is might be worthwhile as the committee cannot do things out of that remit.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2021, 09:10 »
Thanks very much, Jezza  :D and Snowdrops. I’ve asked for a copy of the constitution, but unsurprisingly it hasn’t been forthcoming…

I know where I live, at least, the council seems to require allotment associations to have at least two trustees, but I’m unsure what they do. The last time I heard a committee member talking about it they said, “We have to have them, but they don’t need to do anything”…..   

Christine

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2021, 14:23 »
Try reading this document - it's pretty full on but is more for allotment associations which are self managed rather than working on behalf of the council to relieve it of the daily management of what needs doing.

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2021, 14:33 »
Christine, thank you so much - that’s perfect and exactly what I was looking for. We’re a self-managed site, so it’s very pertinent.i very much doubt the trustees on our site - or any of the committee, for that matter - realise these responsibilities apply to them. Thank you again!

Page created in 0.112 seconds with 38 queries.