Summer of slime

• 2 Replies

Florablunder

Summer of slime
« on: August 23, 2021, 17:17 »
Well, this is definitely the year of the mollusc - they are eating nearly everything on my plot. Each time I go up I remove around a dozen or so from my dwarf apple tree - they sit there slowly chomping their way though the apples. And today I spotted that they had got into the tops of the sweetcorn cobs and eaten the tassels - not sure if the cobs will be able to ripen now.
I've got an empty raised bed that I was hoping to grow some late lettuce/salad crops in - but nothing has appeared yet, and I suspect that the slugs/snails have been cleared the seedlings out. I did try using a spray from the garden centre that is meant to discourage them from eating your plants, but I'm not sure it really works. I'm surrounded on 3 sides by overgrown plots, so there are too many hiding places for them.
To be fair though - last year there was very little slug damage due to it being so hot and dry - you win some, you lose some, I suppose!

Growster...

Re: Summer of slime
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2021, 18:04 »
A lovely chum told me today that her son had stopped counting the slugs he collected after dark, when he got to 120...

Sorry to say, but the new slug death just doesn't do the job...

:0(

al78

Re: Summer of slime
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2021, 23:46 »
I regret not applying nematodes in the spring. They weren't needed in 2020 but 2021 after April has strongly diverged from that spectacular spring.

question
Green bubbly slime - help please

Started by Kitty and the dog on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 03, 2011, 04:38
by Trillium
xx
Summer psb

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 21:36
by someoneorother
xx
NZ Summer

Started by coatesi on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 06:36
by coatesi
xx
After the Summer has gone....

Started by Heidi on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 17, 2008, 13:18
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.597 seconds with 28 queries.