A watched crop…

• 16 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
A watched crop…
« on: August 14, 2021, 19:00 »
I know the corn is nearly ready, but needs a bit longer.  Still I feel compelled to check it every time and see if the cobs feel full enough to do the thumbnail test on a kernel.  It is one of my favourite crops, as freshly picked homegrown sweet corn is so different from anything you can buy - fresh, frozen or tinned.  My poor corn must feel completely harassed  :lol:

What have you got your eye on?

jambop

Re: A watched crop…
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2021, 19:23 »
Tomatoes I look at them every day sometimes twice ... they are ripening slowly slowly :lol:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2021, 21:33 »
My sweetcorn are doing that thing where the flowers at the top are beginning to open, but the cobs are hardly showing.... I keep telling them 'just get on with it, why don't you?'  :wacko:

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2021, 22:08 »
Yes the corn is being checked regularly in the tunnel, the tassels are changing colour a bit but a little time yet although my plot neighbour gave me one of theirs (outdoors last week!) they had planted theirs before mine were ready to plant out. It’s a bit like flowers & the seasons isn’t it, each season we go into is my favourite & each new flower that  flowers is like greeting an old  friend , it’s a bit the same for me with the veg, each one that’s getting ready to harvest is much anticipated & savoured  :lol:
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

grinling

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2021, 22:22 »
I moved some polytunnel plants as it is being used as a wood store for the shed build, so watered nothing this year. Sweetcorn is delicious, will grow more next year.

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2021, 05:50 »
Tomatoes I look at them every day sometimes twice ... they are ripening slowly slowly :lol:

Same here, Jambop! Sometimes every few hours - it really does make a difference at the moment!

A chum about two-hundred yards away has lost all his, and when he showed me the nasties, I kept about three yards back!

We do have a lot of trees and foliage between our houses, so fingers crossed!

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2021, 06:00 »
"What have you got your eye on?"

Like your corn concern News!

Answer here - The new pepper plants in the GH - six all different and in pots...

One (Scotch Bonnet), is 4' tall and has some great fruit forming, but another has loads of foliage and absolutely no flowers at all! The others are all in between! Feeding them with Tomorite today!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2021, 08:38 »
I grew Scotch Bonnets one year Mr G and got a huge crop.  They were later than the others and it was well into autumn when they were ready, so the other way round to yours.

The ones I grew were so hot we had trouble eating them.  I dried a load and put them in the food processor to make chilli flakes.  I has to evacuate the kitchen for several hours afterwards as the chilli fumes took your breath away  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2021, 11:39 »
My sweet corn both in the g'house and outside, and the toms which are slowly turning red. I had some G. Delight the other day and they were lovely.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2021, 13:20 »
My sweetcorn are doing that thing where the flowers at the top are beginning to open, but the cobs are hardly showing.... I keep telling them 'just get on with it, why don't you?'  :wacko:

Ours have done that too, Mum.  Makes me wonder if they will get pollinated.  >:(

missmoneypenny

« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2021, 18:31 »
Nowhere near ready but I am currently Molly coddling my brassicas. I crouch down and check them for molluscs, caterpillars and cabbage white eggs. I put slug pellets around them and start them off under nets.  I also put obstacles around them as the darned foxes love nothing better than running  over them and trashing them  :mad:

cc

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2021, 12:10 »
I don't think I will have much of crop of sweet corn this year if any. Weather just ain't good enough. Most cobs don't make it to the house. Just taste to good and I just eat them as is.

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2021, 13:49 »
Meanwhile, having checked the courgettes on arriving at the plot, they have very often produced marrows (almost) before I leave.  I swear that if I had time to stand and watch I would literally be able to see them growing.  Can someone explain to me how it is possible to go over each plant, leaf by leaf to ensure that there are no more courgettes left to pick, but two days later there are marrows more than a foot long?  Where do they hide?

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2021, 17:37 »
I pull up a few carrots to see how they are getting on, if no improvement from the last inspection I stuff them back in the ground until next time!

I'll get me coat! :nowink: :nowink: :nowink:

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

jambop

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2021, 17:39 »

Same here, Jambop! Sometimes every few hours - it really does make a difference at the moment!

A chum about two-hundred yards away has lost all his, and when he showed me the nasties, I kept about three yards back!

We do have a lot of trees and foliage between our houses, so fingers crossed!

They are getting there Growster I looked today and the Roma plants have about 5 or 6kg of ripe tomatoes on the eight plants I am hoping that in maybe another ten to 15 days I can pick 30 or 40 kg and make it worthwhile doing a large bottling session and be able to set some for the winter. The San Marzano are always later than the Roma's and there are very few SM ready yet but I am hoping mid September will see a 25kg harvest for bottling. Time will tell we have not had a settled spell of weather this entire "summer" worst summer in most anybody I have talked to memory . Most people consider summer over by the third week in August but we can still get some really great weather in a normal year right up into late October the only thing is then night temperatures tend to fall away when the sun goes down.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2021, 17:42 by jambop »

xx
planting main crop potatoes in same place as finished early crop?

Started by aejonm on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 16, 2021, 11:41
by al78
xx
Our very first crop!

Started by ex-cavator on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2010, 00:11
by white westie
xx
My first crop

Started by lightyears on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 30, 2008, 22:58
by lightyears
xx
first crop

Started by 2peasinapod on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 19, 2009, 20:15
by 2peasinapod

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 45 queries.