growing peas

• 1 Replies

rowlandwells

growing peas
« on: July 10, 2021, 20:50 »
 this year's pea crops have been very good for us and i have to say my wife made a good job of planted the seeds in pots then we  transplanted them  on the allotment we grew them up rabbit wire and they turned out well good picking

but what i can't get my head round is field grown peas not just a row or two but many acres on the ground no nets no wire then harvested by a large machine no hand picking in sight then of to the factory so how do they do it?

here we are  putting  bird netting round our pea crops to stop those darn pigeons  :mad: so do you need to sow peas up sticks or netting hedge cuttings where used after the hedge was laid in the winter months by many an old gardener so is it still the best way for us gardeners to grow our peas up sticks or netting or just grow them on the ground ?

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
Re: growing peas
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2021, 22:41 »
Interesting question, I think it's down to the varieties they grow, and what they want from the crop.  The varieties  have stronger stems so they can stand up against each other without support. They also grow them in wide rows/blocks, so that they support each other better and it doesn't matter because they all get harvested/combined at the same time. Growing them in dense blocks like that will probably mean spraying to keep disease under control too. 

Our supported garden rows mean we can get to them to harvest them more steadily, with varieties that crop over a longer period.  The rows also let the air circulate better to reduce disease.

thumbup
I need help growing peas please

Started by Kristen on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post February 06, 2011, 18:14
by scousemouse
xx
growing peas

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post January 04, 2011, 11:38
by rowlandwells
xx
My Peas are actually growing

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 24, 2012, 21:01
by DD.
xx
Peas growing well

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 03, 2007, 10:38
by WG.

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 28 queries.