Video tech

• 3 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Video tech
« on: June 20, 2021, 11:00 »
I've toyed with video for some time - even made some short videos with a professional about a decade ago. It didn't really work out for us and so apart from putting them online I more or less forgot.
I got some video editing software way back but it was confusing and now it's so out of date it doesn't recognise a video clip from a phone as a video!
Anyway, I've a short 10 second clip I thought to put up as part of a blog post. First problem was the file size. Eventually found some free web sites that reduce the size and some free software called handbrake that does the same on the desktop.
Now I'm more confused!
I compressed it using H264 and it went to 5Mb then I read that H265 was more efficient but that ended up as 8Mb - bigger not smaller :(
Then I found MPEG-4 reduced this 10 second masterpiece to 2Mb - but various sites say it's old, outdated and, like me, historical!
Anyone understand this stuff? I'm not a great fan of video, Youtube being full of 10 minute waffle videos that could be explained better in 2 paragraphs but there are some things where a video is helpful to demonstrate something.
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

jezza

Re: Video tech
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2021, 15:13 »
Hello Ii havent a clue either I tried to send a video of a customer and his daughter to his daughter after her father died it was upside down and they were walking backwards,if it had owt to do with a 2 stroke I could fix it   jezza

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2021, 16:36 »
https://larryjordan.com/articles/when-to-use-h-264-vs-hevc-for-video-compression/ is probably the most sensible explanation I've found. I would think any format for a blog post would be fine it's not like you need 4K.

You may want to look at https://fxhome.com/product/hitfilm-express if you want to get your nerd on for free  :nowink: Not an area I've bothered with either but youtube is awash with video about how to make youtube videos.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2021, 18:11 »
Having played with it, found an easy route! Upload to a free Vimeo account. Then spend an hour trying to embed the video only to find the easy way is to just put the raw link to the video in and wordpress displayed it!

I don't want to upload to Youtube - very dependent on Google's whims and systems. All this to pop a 10 second clip online :)

xx
Replacement tech

Started by Yorkie on Chatting on the Plot

10 Replies
Last post March 02, 2020, 23:36
by grinling
xx
Bossy tech

Started by New shoot on Chatting on the Plot

17 Replies
Last post November 20, 2020, 12:37
by New shoot
xx
VHS video

Started by moose on Chatting on the Plot

4 Replies
Last post April 14, 2022, 07:18
by jezza

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 34 queries.