Tomatoes

• 29 Replies

Jake

• Rockers
Tomatoes
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2006, 21:03 »
I've grown the odd tomato plant for 2 years and found the ones in the ground produced more fruit than those in pots. I'm going to attempt about 15 healthy plants on the plot baring lots of fruit. Feeling optomistic about it.
first there is a mountain then there is no mountain then there is

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2006, 21:35 »
Here in Spain my Cindl tomatoes are doing the best 2nd are chadwick cherry. I have 7 varieties on the go, if they are all planted on the same bed together can I still save the seeds?
Happy Gardening

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Tomatoes
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2006, 22:02 »
Hi Biscombe, my friend Pamela lives in Spain now and she sent me a packet of Tres Cantos tomatoes.  They are all up and look good.  Do you have any of those in your collection.  Have you grown them before?  What are they like?

I'm afraid I've never saved my own tomatoe seeds, so don't know the answer to your question, but I am going to save some this year.

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2006, 22:34 »
Hi there! Not growing Tres Cantos, but let me know how you get on with them! I'm growing Marmande, Matina, Yellow Pear, Chadwick Cherry, Costoluto Fiorentino, Cindel, Gold Nugget and Rio Grande.. Had any experience with these varieties?? Where abouts does your friend live in Spain?

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Tomatoes
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2006, 23:03 »
Hi Biscombe, my friend Pamela is north of Malaga, 20 minutes drive from Antequera?  Her and her husband have only been out there for 2 years.  I sent her some runner bean seeds in thanks for the Tres Cantos seeds, will be interesting to see how they turn out.  She doesn't have a garden yet, only pots on her patio!

Of the tomatoes you mentioned, I have only grown yellow pear before, but they are lovely, very sweet and look lovely mixed in with salads.  I'll let you know how the Tres Cantos turn out.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Tomatoes
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2006, 23:57 »
Three songs is such a poetic name for a tomato :)

I wonder what made someone call it that?
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Jerry

Tomatoes
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2006, 01:15 »
Always grow my toms outside, don't have a glasshouse  :(
But still get good crops - prefer bush types, and find that earthing up well around the base of the stem encourages extra roots and reduces the need for watering.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Tomatoes
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2006, 09:14 »
Jerry - how do you stop the slugs from eating the tomatoes on the ground? I reckon I lost a chunk of my crop that way last year.

Jerry

Tomatoes
« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2006, 15:10 »
I grew a plum tomatoes, Roma last year and lost very few to slugs - the skins are pretty tough, so once they get through the skin, they spend a lot of time on one tomato rather than nibbling loads. A very basic sort of support - 3ft cane by each plant, string tied to cane and looped under the bottom"branches" just to raise off the soil a bit. Also tend to bung bits of brick etc under any really heavy stems.

Phoenix

• Experienced Member
Tomatoes
« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2006, 15:37 »
Ive been given a tomato plant by my fiance's nan, she says shes had it from spain (its suppose to have no seeds in it??) any1 heard of them?
Like War games then click on the link below - goto forum and ask for me (Black_Stalion)
Ambroid Online Multiplayer War Game

Nugget

Tomatoes
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 17:13 »
I Brought my plants yesterday from the farm is it to early to put my moneymakers outside?
theres nothing more lonesome, morbid or drear than to stand at the bar of a pub with no beer!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
Tomatoes
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2006, 20:33 »
Thanks for the tip, Jerry.
Sorry Phoenix, no idea
nugget, toms will not take any frost so be cautious or provide them with shelter.

noshed

Tomatoes
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2006, 17:04 »
I was reading somewhere to put a bit of banana skin in each hole, for the potassium and plant the plants quite deeply.
My seedlings are still quite small in my zip-up greenhouse.
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

Heather_S

• http://www.stargazy.org/plants/allotment/
Tomatoes
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2006, 17:12 »
hijacking the tomato thread!

How do you know if the tomatoes are greenhouse or outdoor variety? I had totally forgotten about this and I'm dealing with nearly complete unknown tomatoes (it was from a seedswop day, it was just labeled "Hungarian Cherry Tomatoes - very small fruits" I can't find anything else via google or anywhere!) I have them outside at the moment, they're quite stout healthy looking plants so I assume they are outdoor ones!
I've had them out for ages now, probably a week before transplanting them out and it's been at least a week since I planted them out.

Never heard of seedless tomatoes, Phoenix! But now I'm wondering if you can just give them the gibberllic acid watering treatment like they do for grapes to make them seedless?? I'm thinking back to high school biology classes now, where we watered little plants with gibberellic acid and it made them tall and leggy!
wistfully hoping to one day be mostly organic gardener in North London.

stompy

Tomatoes
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2006, 18:12 »
Don't know if anyone has ever mentioned this, if you have problems getting your toms to ripen, just put banana skins around the plants, they release xenon gas.
Xenon gas is what the comercials use to ripen bananas and its suposed to work on toms as well. :lol:

xx
Tomatoes

Started by JamesD on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 03, 2008, 09:06
by archibtbm
xx
tomatoes

Started by mike0001 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 13, 2013, 22:17
by Steveharford
xx
Tomatoes

Started by moose on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post January 03, 2018, 17:21
by Auntiemogs
xx
tomatoes

Started by samk on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 18:14
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.421 seconds with 37 queries.