DD's KW peas

• 11 Replies

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
DD's KW peas
« on: January 27, 2021, 16:12 »
Just been looking at DD's photos of his peas, I've been trying to grow Kelvedon Wonder for 2 seasons, in the past they never seem to grow to 18 inches as stated on the pack, and yield is quite low. DD's peas seem a lot taller (than 18 inches), and bushier than mine ever do anyway, and he said they were KW. Would adding horse manure (well rotted or fresh?) before planting, then feeding with something later help. The soil is quite heavy/sticky on my allotment. Any advice please.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: DD's KW peas
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 19:16 »
I'm not sure that the peas in DD's picture actually are KW...
He normally grows a lot of Heritage varieties, which are usually taller. See his planting list here https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=69457.msg870206#msg870206
In my experience peas don't need feeding as they produce their own Nitrogen in nodules on their roots, although the manure would help with moisture retention if you soil is dry.

A good yielding pea of medium height is Hurst Green Shaft, it seems to produce a lot more pods than KW.
You will need to sow about 12 seeds per foot in the row, as per his planting instructions, though.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 20:24 »
Like stigs old dear I also grow Hurst GS
 I dig a trench and add well rotted manure and back fill about 3 inches on top of it, I then sow my seeds and then cover. I give them a bit of a sprinkling of FBB and keep them well watered during our hot spells

I always get a good crop, some amazing crops but never a moaning crop
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 21:36 »
I grow KW and  HG.  I always get a good crop. 

I think planting them quite early is a way to avoid mildew.  I do spray for pea moth.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2021, 21:42 »

steven c

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2021, 08:03 »
we for the last couple of years have grown alderman [prem seeds] if you have space these give a great yield
several other plotholders on our site are now growing these very sweet and lots of them reaching about 6 ft
high
from bow like to grow

lettice

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2021, 10:58 »
Have been growing a Kelvedon Wonder type pea for decades.
I save the seeds each year and they originated from a family hand down.

They are a dwarf pea, and do grow to about 18 inches high.
I do not add anything to the soil, just throw a bowl of weekly veg peeling over the area during winter and allow the worms to pull that down. A light rake over in the January.
Plant the seeds straight out in the ground from March to April in two monthly successions.
They are good croppers from late April to September.
They do not need much support and just tie a few lengths of string  at six inches high between canes spread out about two feet apart.
I do as the season grows pull up the earlier sown ones as they start to brown.

Also, grow a family hand down and once again save my seed of a Hurst Greenshaft type that grows to about three feet high.
Do the same as above, but these need to be teased up a more solid support of pea mesh.
Being larger you crop a lot more and find they tend to wither and stop cropping in late August.

Have tried sowing them in February, but can say that gained nothing and also starting them off in the greenhouse but that never really made any difference. I think some do that to stop things picking at the seed from sowing straight in the ground, but not ever had that problem.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2021, 11:04 by lettice »

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2021, 11:35 »
we for the last couple of years have grown alderman [prem seeds] if you have space these give a great yield
several other plotholders on our site are now growing these very sweet and lots of them reaching about 6 ft
high
I was going to have a go with Alderman too But Prem Seeds were out of stock when I put my order in so just sticking with HGS

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2021, 16:34 »
Thanks for the replies everyone, maybe I'll grow the other variety as well and compare. Some useful info here.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 09:54 »
Just to confirm - the bulk gown peas in my thread are indeed KW! The addition of humus - not manure - would greatly benefit the peas as they prefer a lighter soil.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 09:56 by DD. »
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

bobbyt

• Experienced Member
  • Still Learning !
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 15:29 »
DD - what is the best way to get humus, is it bought, or do you just get it from an open compost heap. I've got a Dalek bin, is that any good for producing it. I only put kitchen peelings and leaves, brown paper, cardboard etc in it, is that the same?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2021, 09:04 »
DD - what is the best way to get humus, is it bought, or do you just get it from an open compost heap. I've got a Dalek bin, is that any good for producing it. I only put kitchen peelings and leaves, brown paper, cardboard etc in it, is that the same?

Sorry for the delay in replying - that would do nicely!

question
Hurst greenshaft peas Support required (me and the peas)

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 22, 2019, 17:46
by Twood
xx
sweet peas garden peas

Started by potherb on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 02, 2018, 17:00
by sunshineband
xx
peas (again)

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post June 09, 2006, 09:29
by John
xx
Following peas

Started by Zippy on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 05, 2008, 15:42
by Zippy

Page created in 0.468 seconds with 44 queries.