Leeks

• 4 Replies

Middle Eastern Gardener

Leeks
« on: November 26, 2020, 15:30 »
I just pulled all my leeks up because someone has taken a fancy to them and eaten everything below the soil level leaving just the leaves nicely upright.  If I wasn’t wanting the leeks it would be funny!  How’ve, those that are left, have not grown very long and with each leaf layer I pull away, there are roots inside.  Is this normal or is there something I could do to encourage better produce next year?  They were in a two year old bed with improving soil..

Alank

• Experienced Member
Re: Leeks
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 08:21 »
No idea what could be eating the bottom of the leeks without a photo or more information.
The other problem with the leeks sounds like whips. They grow up from the base of the leek between the flags.
Or suckers that grow from the base on the outside of the main stem of the leek.

Middle Eastern Gardener

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2020, 15:42 »
No idea what could be eating the bottom of the leeks without a photo or more information.
The other problem with the leeks sounds like whips. They grow up from the base of the leek between the flags.
Or suckers that grow from the base on the outside of the main stem of the leek.

Thank you, but how do I prevent this happening again please?

Alank

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2020, 16:04 »
It could be worth trying a different variety of leek i find Musselburgh an excellent easy to grow variety.
I find leeks do not like stress at any stage of early growth ie make sure they are hardened off and don't plant out too early.
Are you growing them just for the table? If so any side suckers can just be removed from the leek as they are growing.
Try asking allotment holders in your area which variety grows best given your local conditions.
I grow for show and for the table and the two most successful for the table have always been Musselburgh and poncho for me. North Durham area.

jambop

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2020, 18:26 »
Weird I live in this region of France and have never had this problem... could it be field voles?

xx
leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 27, 2012, 06:53
by Growster...
xx
leeks

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 09, 2010, 15:21
by mumofstig
clip
Leeks

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post August 21, 2017, 11:05
by al78
xx
Help with leeks

Started by jaws8 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post March 25, 2011, 07:29
by Kristen

Page created in 0.975 seconds with 30 queries.