Apple tree problem, it has two leaders and one is a fake.

• 2 Replies

WeavingGryphon

Hello,

Life isn't simple, the apple tree that was about rootless that we got last year and the company brushed us off. Well it grew, no fruit and I've just complained again, well I complained in May and got no reply so I'm emailing them again.

It has two leaders aka main branches at the top of the trunk. They bent upwards and tied a smaller, shorter, weaker branch up as a leader instead of leaving the bigger, stronger taller branch that was the leader in it's natural role and the two are playing merry hell with each other. We've seen a tree nearby which was the same conformation split off earlier in the year and we're annoyed and stressed. Well I am, Husband is sitting in the sun enjoying us not being flooded. 

If we had a suitable wall it would be perfect for to be an espalier but we don't so I am annoyed as I have to figure out what to do with it. The bigger, heavier, unsupported branch is whipping about damaging the branches below it or on the leader. I'm worried if it ever has fruit on it it will damage the fake leader, or droop down and damage the other branches and their fruit. It's stripped the flowers off itself and fake leader earlier this year.

Is this as big a problem, and annoyance as I think it is? Is it is it unprofessional? If anyone more experienced that I could suggest what to do with this tree please suggest away.

Of the same vintage order, the filbert turned out to be an ex filbert and never grew and I want a refund for that which they have ignored, and the rhubarb's from them all died. The other company, mad growing skills from those plants. I think this is the last encounter with this company.

it's a FAAAAKE.jpg
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 14:22 by WeavingGryphon »

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
Re: Apple tree problem, it has two leaders and one is a fake.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2020, 00:42 »
You are not describing the type of tree you are seeking to establish.   Assuming that you wish to train the tree to its natural growth as a bush, the leader needs to be cut back to establish its side shoots to form the main branches of the tree.   Leaders naturally grow upwards.   Having two leaders is not a problem since you can cut each back and develop branches on either side of the tree.   I would look on the Internet for instructions on training a bush apple tree.   I have also had problems in buying trees with insufficient root systems, but I bought mine from Tesco and got a refund.   The problem was that it was a large tree and to fit into the small plastic bag, most of the root system was cut off.   I then bought a much smaller tree of the same variety with most of its roots intact which in a very dry summer is doing very well.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Apple tree problem, it has two leaders and one is a fake.
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2020, 10:19 »
A photo of your tree would be very helpful.

xx
Apple tree problem

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2017, 10:42
by mumofstig
xx
apple tree problem

Started by dannie on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 05, 2010, 15:17
by dannie
clip
apple tree problem

Started by handman on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post October 02, 2015, 12:25
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
apple tree problem

Started by dmg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 24, 2013, 12:15
by dmg

Page created in 0.59 seconds with 36 queries.