Poor little chap - heat and no potash...

• 8 Replies

Growster...

Poor little chap - heat and no potash...
« on: August 12, 2020, 07:30 »
Never seen this before, but it seems like a perfect example of too much heat (outside), and no grub for a week or so!

Unless it's something nastier...
P1110848.JPG

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Poor little chap - heat and no potash...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2020, 10:09 »
Are they all like that or just that one poor, no doubt complex-ridden, specimen?
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2020, 10:13 »
Urgh nasty  :ohmy:
Is it all the fruit on that plant?  It may be a virus - cull the plant, or just one odd tomato - throw that 1 in the bin, and keep an eye on the rest ….

Same thought, Jay
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 10:14 by mumofstig »

Growster...

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2020, 11:04 »
There are two rather poor 'Shirley' plants, next to each other, in a large pot, outside in a hot area. They only had one truss on each, plus a few tiddlers!

I wondered about a virus at first, But Hessayon says it is just too much heat, and not enough potash.

I've hoiked them both out now, and binned them - the plants nearby don't seem affected!

The 'Shirley' don't seem to have enjoyed this year, they took a long time to germinate, and I had to sow more after several failures, which is a pity, as they're usually ultra-reliable!

Thanks to everyone's advice here though, the 'San Marzano' have been terrific, and only half-way through the crop, fingers crossed of course!

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 16:03 »
If I saw that, without any comments/history attached, I would be thinking they had been attacked by an insect, snails, or something else.  We have tomato fruitworm which digs holes into the fruit, but not quite like that, usually an entrance and exit hole, so they can live inside the fruit, eat from the inside out.  Maybe stinkbug damage?  The more I look at it, the more I think the brown marmorated stink bug, or BMSB (Halyomorpha halys) could be the culprit.  They have recently become a problem in the UK (they are an exotic pest). Do a computer search for VCE Publications / 2902 / 2902-1100 (VCE is Virginia Cooperative Extension), look at the photo near the very bottom.  My son is an entomology graduate student, is studying BMSB, they are a pest on many crops.

I know you binned them, but did you see any signs of insect "frass" (small pelleted insect poo, usually dark) below the fruit, on the leaves?  I look for that when I am inspecting plants for insects, especially caterpillars.

Plants are usually pretty capable of translocating potash from one place to another, or extracting more from soil, I don't thing skipping the potash for 2 or 3 weeks caused this, certainly not your fault!  I would add that heat doesn't seem right.  I have had 38 C temperatures at least once this summer, greater than 33 C many times, my tomatoes haven't faltered.

[SP added comments about stinkbugs and temperature]
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 17:42 by Subversive_plot »
"Somewhere between right and wrong, there is a garden. I will meet you there."~ Rumi

Growster...

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 20:37 »
Wow! Some real investigation going on here!

Here are some pics taken just now, the quality isn't great as it's nearly dark, but you can easily see the failing leaves, and - yes - some dirt under the leaves, but I did just chuck the whole plants into the bin, so there maybe just a little Patricia Cornwell (fave writer), coming in here, the dirt may just be splatters...

But the fruit doesn't look right, it smells OK, but here's the killer...

Just this afternoon, when I woke from a siesta, Mrs Growster asked me to remove a strange bug from the conservatory, which is the inside 'wall' of where these toms are situated, in trays of compost and soil.

I thought it was a normal vine weevil which we get a lot of around now, but this little chap looked just like one of the pics in the website you directed me to! It was much bigger than a vine weevil, wouldn't let go of the stick I'd picked it up with, and is still out there now, lurking around!

I'll be on the look out from now on, because, over the pond, we now have a real mystery to solve, and we can all retire on huge salaries with some conglomerate, just because we saw such an event, and you and your son clearly knew what the problem was!

I just love all this!
P1110849.JPG
P1110850.JPG
P1110851.JPG
P1110852.JPG
P1110853.JPG
P1110854.JPG

Subversive_plot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 21:05 »
Growster, I will tell my son you were able to make use of what he has learned (and what his old dad has learned from him)!  BMSB should be controllable with many of the common controls you might already have on hand for your vegetables, but I will see if he has specific suggestions.

al78

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2020, 10:09 »
Plants are usually pretty capable of translocating potash from one place to another, or extracting more from soil, I don't thing skipping the potash for 2 or 3 weeks caused this, certainly not your fault!  I would add that heat doesn't seem right.  I have had 38 C temperatures at least once this summer, greater than 33 C many times, my tomatoes haven't faltered.

My greenhouse went over 50C in Spring in temperatures 10 degrees cooler than it has been lately in the SE. I have a temperature logger in there and I wouldn't be surprised if it has reached 60C with the ridiculous daytime heat and tropical nights of the last week, enough to just about kill my dwarf beans and gem squash in there.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 15:12 »
I've been around all the outside plants today, and while the 'Shirley' are ripening in different degrees, the others are just fine (except a few Mountain Magic), so it's a watching brief at the moment!

As Al78 (Good year that), says, the temperatures have been awful these last few days, and now Southern Water want everyone to stop watering stuff!

I'm also peering at the peppers nearby, in the same bed, as they might just get some idea of a revolt, so we'll watch what happens!

xx
Potash

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 18, 2011, 11:21
by viettaclark
xx
Potash?

Started by brownp on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 19:30
by Baldy
xx
potash!

Started by dno71 on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post February 17, 2010, 10:58
by diggerjoe
xx
Potash

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 16, 2008, 09:13
by Swing Swang

Page created in 0.431 seconds with 41 queries.