Runner and French Beans

• 10 Replies

MrsPea

Runner and French Beans
« on: July 27, 2020, 18:41 »
Both lots are covered in black fly what do i do to get rid or do i say forget it  :ohmy: i'm not a happy bunny there's loads of flower ' Help'
I Love my green house

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Runner and French Beans
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 19:48 »
I must admit to spraying mine a couple of times this year, with Provado Ultimate Bug Killer spray.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2020, 20:16 »
Or catch as many Lady birds as you can find and spread them on the leaves (which I have tried but there's never enough lady birds), OR blast the beggers with soapy water.

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

OakR

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2020, 22:55 »
I had lots on my dwarf french beans a few weeks ago and my few climbing french beans - a ridiculous amount. I spent quite a while squashing most by hand (plenty of ants but I tend to let them escape as I like ants although I know they are harvesting some of them). They now seem mostly under control and there are lots of ladybirds around so I think nature is doing it's thing now and the beans are coming through nicely.

Good luck!

MrsPea

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 09:07 »
Thank you for that, last night i went out and threw 2 bowl fulls of soapy water over them a lot of the trouble is there all at the top and i'm only a little short a--se  I'll see what happens later in the week.
What i picked yesterday were lovely after having a good wash. :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2020, 11:54 »
Using a sprayer makes the job a lot easier and more targeted MrsPea.

You might need to experiment with the dilution which will be effective (obviously you want to use as little as possible.)
I find that about a teaspoonful of washing up liquid in a pint of water does the job - the blackfly don't necessarily drop off but if you look closely they should mostly be dead in a few hours. A second application may be needed as it's not a persistent or systemic treatment (especially if it rains!)
I do check for signs of ladybird or other larvae on the beans before spraying.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 12:27 by JayG »
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2020, 13:09 »
I did several sprays with Fairy liquid/water but they were still smothered that's why I gave in and used the Bugkiller spray. It is my last resort - not something I reach for automatically..

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2020, 14:21 »
Nor me mum, but runner beans are a very awkward crop to try any sort of 'squishing' technique on, particularly if you've got a considerably greater infestation than in previous years, as I have at the moment.

Wondering whether Fairy liquid is kind to your aphids as well as your hands (showing my age here!  ::)  :lol:)

Seriously, probably needs to be a bit stronger - if too dilute it just runs off them.

CHRISDONOHUE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 13:16 »
I used to spray blackfly with a systemic insecticide which worked effectively unlike the plot holders around me who trusted in washing up liquid which seemed to have little effect.   The effect of using washingup liquid seemed purely psychological, giving them great piece of mind that they had 'solved' the problem with a targeted approach.  Someone then told me that he sprayed them off with a hose.  I was initially sceptical but tried it and found it actually worked without the cost and pollution of a systemic insecticide.   If there are still blackfly the next day, repeat.   It is an obvious solution, costs nothing and makes sense.  If there aren't any blackfly on the plant, there is nothing to suck the plants.   Ladybirds never overtake the spread of the blackfly and ants merely milk the blackfly.

Grubbypaws

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2020, 15:34 »
Or catch as many Lady birds as you can find and spread them on the leaves (which I have tried but there's never enough lady birds), OR blast the beggers with soapy water.

Cheers,  Tony.
I have just one ladybird in my garden but it is fascinating to watch. It hides in a leaf while the ants bring the black fly up to their horde. The minute the ant goes down for more it eats the blackfly and re-hides. The ants return with more! I wish there were more around. I love seeing the confused look of the ants; just like me when I cant remember where I parked the car  :D

cc

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2020, 16:06 »
I did remove all the blackfly one year from a sweet pepper. Simply hand spraying with water, nothing more. Wiped them out as they were washed off and drowned in the pot. So good spray with hose may work.

xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner & french beans

Started by hogchops on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 12, 2010, 20:41
by Yorkie
xx
runner & French beans

Started by Allan-25J on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post November 27, 2019, 21:43
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.506 seconds with 43 queries.