Is this disease?

• 9 Replies

one2keep

Is this disease?
« on: July 22, 2020, 12:13 »
Hi Folks

I’m having a bit of a nightmare as many of my plants are dying or look ill. This was all sudden onset - fine Sunday night but clearly wilting and dying or damaged Monday morning. As it includes different types of plants, some in the greenhouse and others outdoors, I am imagining it has to do with what I watered. I have several different water butts, all rinsed out at the beginning of the season. Could this be bacterial or fungal damage, or has something more sinister happened?  At this point, I’m worried if anything is safe to eat if it does manage to survive.
794AD40C-5C85-457B-AF72-FF554C76B149.jpeg
A0843FBD-84AC-4E60-BF23-4D94435A9CED.jpeg
33271858-4A1A-4A02-881D-E564F8F3549C.jpeg
FB016961-317C-4AAB-B56B-495FF002C3FE.jpeg
B17FB331-DA77-49C4-9C1A-68AC88699B48.jpeg
DB8A22A2-C8B4-4DBA-8FAC-74A5BA618066.jpeg

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Is this disease?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2020, 13:11 »
The bean leaves look the way they do, sometimes, if bright scorching sun appears when the leaves are still wet, or could be a touch of mildew. I'd just remove the dodgy looking leaves and hope for the best.

The courgette(?) leaf just looks like the old ones usually do, to me. nothing to worry about.

Is that a tomato or potato plant in the tub? That could have a touch of blight  :( Just remove the dodgy leaves for now, and see what happens. If the leaves/stems start to go grey/brown with a fungal appearance on the underside of the leaves, then it is blight. Bag them up and put in the rubbish bin, nothing you can do to save them :(

one2keep

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2020, 15:14 »
Thanks for your thoughts. It’s actually a dahlia in the tub that was bright green and healthy but overnight developed dark veins and is drooping like it might just die (roots are sound, not over watered. Tomato leaves have a similar appearance with black/dark veins and then wilt. The bean leaves are continuing to become mottled and then just go crispy. Again, all were very healthy plants on a Sunday afternoon and looked dreadful on the Monday morning. I  am worried that there has been such a varied and immediate change, and the possibility that my water was contaminated or even had pesticide added. I’ve gardened for 30 years and have never had such a dramatic turn without some form of extreme weather event.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2020, 15:29 by one2keep »

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2020, 18:45 »
If it's the water then is it worth flushing them out with tap water for a week and seeing if that helps?

jezza

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2020, 19:40 »
Hello from your description of  every thing going over together it looks and  sounds like weed killer damage has any weed killer been sprayed around the plants or pots Resolver has glyphosate and Diquat in it Diquat is a contact residual weedkilker which will do damage over night but stays active in the soil Roundup is translated and takes a few days to work but breaks down in the soil ,what compost/soil are you growing in as this could be contaminated    jezza

one2keep

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2020, 15:38 »
My worry was about pesticide. I’m an organic gardener and have had the same plot for about 15 years, so no chemicals from me. I’ve done some more research and think it’s possible that the tomatoes and dahlia (grown a very reputable organic compost/grow bags) are succumbing to verticillium wilt. If this is the case, then the beans were damaged by something else including possible water and temperature damage. We did have a strange cool spell followed by a very sunny day then cool again. If it were pesticides, it would have had to of been a targeted attack, which seems a bit extreme. I am an allotment site Secretary, so do occasionally find someone or other unhappy with me. Anyway, still trying to diagnose. Re the compost, I would have thought it was sterile so that a soil borne infection was impossible, but actually the bags don’t promise sterile soil, just organic.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2020, 06:49 »
I used to work on a hop farm during the early summer holidays, where verticillium wilt was rampant in some gardens.

The way to check (you probably know this), is to do as you have done, just notice the plant suffering, then gently split the stem with a thumbnail near the base, and see if there are any brown fibres going up and down under the skin. If so, this may be a pointer, but of course, on a tom, you really don't want to encourage more bacteria, so keep it washed and clean after the poke around!

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2020, 12:26 »
I am an allotment site Secretary, so do occasionally find someone or other unhappy with me.

Ditto but nobody's ever taken it out on my plot! I'm sure it's not that - we're far more civilised than that here in York.

Vikings, anyone?!  :lol: :wub:
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:26 by Yorkie »
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jezza

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2020, 14:53 »
Hello if its organic compost and hasn't been sterilized sufficiently any diseased material going in will come out,any compost needs to be at a constant 80 degrees for 10 days to kill weed seed  and most diseases, if some ones put diseased tomatoes in a household compost bin it will stay that way blighted or diseased plants should be burnt (notifiable disease regulations 1962)   jezza

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2020, 08:38 »
(notifiable disease regulations 1962)   jezza

I was just checking out these regulations, jezza, but can't find them.  Do you have a more detailed name for them, please?

xx
Disease ? help

Started by tode on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 17, 2009, 02:00
by Paul Plots
xx
Sprout disease!

Started by heygrow on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 12, 2013, 21:46
by ghost61
xx
Onion disease

Started by JohnD on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2009, 12:52
by PAULW
xx
Brassica disease.

Started by bikerjohn on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 02, 2007, 05:29
by bikerjohn

Page created in 0.564 seconds with 42 queries.