growing lettuce

• 2 Replies

rowlandwells

growing lettuce
« on: July 09, 2020, 13:03 »
we are  at present growing all our salad crops in a salad bed i made just for salad crops this year I find we are having better  results than growing salad down the allotments as we are more able to manage the crops using this method however we still seem to get some small insects in the lettuce when cutting and we need to wash the lettuce thoroughly before eating  do you have the same problem

also I'm thinking about growing some overwintered lettuce like Lobjoits artic King or winter density in the poly tunnel so before deciding should I or shouldn't I it makes cense to ask if anyone on site does grow lettuce to  overwinter and to seek  there advise the best way to grow overwintered lettuce

your replies would be most welcome on this topic RW

Mr Dog

Re: growing lettuce
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 19:59 »
I overwinter lettuces (and mustards) in unheated greenhouses at the plot for early spring harvest. I've successfully done this with Winter Density, Brune d'Hiver, Marvel of 4 Seasons, Arctic King and Hilde II (although I grow Lobjoits, I've never tried to overwinter them). I usually sow September time and put them in the ground mid-late October after the toms come out. They tend to just tick over till early Feb before starting to grow. We harvest from early March to mid-end May (I pick individual leaves from several plants rather than taking a whole head which I find makes them last longer).

Interestingly I planted 2 Multigreens outside last July and harvested from the plants from August to October. They stayed in the ground overwinter and began to grow again in March and have been providing a lot of lettuce since (a couple of weeks off at the end of April when down to just the cores excepted). They are a fantastic lettuce and appear to be unaffected by pests, including pigeons. I'll be overwintering a few of these this year.

rowlandwells

Re: growing lettuce
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:52 »
I'm going to give overwintering lettuce a go making sowings from September as you suggest many thanks for that info Mr Dog

xx
growing lettuce

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

29 Replies
Last post February 07, 2010, 12:14
by Paul Plots
xx
Growing Lettuce

Started by xhappychickx on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 19, 2011, 09:38
by xhappychickx
question
Lettuce growing???

Started by mad mark on Grow Your Own

34 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 09:50
by gawk
xx
Growing lettuce that looks like you've bought it.

Started by alanem on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 21:13
by Charlotte

Page created in 0.687 seconds with 36 queries.