Crunch & squish!

• 5 Replies

snowdrops

Crunch & squish!
« on: June 26, 2020, 17:01 »
Asparagus, how long to I need to carry on my twice daily crunch & squish regime for the asparagus beetle & offspring? I planted the crowns last year & can’t remember having to do this last year. I must be missing the eggs, (they are very tiny aren’t they?) as every day x 2 when I got to see the chickens I check. I must remove up to 20 beetles a day & more caterpillars/grubs.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Re: Crunch & squish!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2020, 17:25 »
They are very difficult to control by squishing.  You could use the organic contact insecticide pyrethrum.  But squishing is the only other way.

Burn or remove the old fronds so that you remove some of the over wintering beetles.

This is the RHS advice:

• The beetles overwinter in sheltered places such as grass tussocks or piles of vegetation. 
    They emerge in May and June and lay elongate black eggs that are attached by one end to the asparagus spears and foliage
    The adult beetles can fly and are very adept at locating patches of asparagus
    The creamy greyish-black larvae reach up to 10mm long (3/8in) when fully grown
    They pupate in the soil
    There are two generations between May and September
    In the autumn, adult beetles seek sheltered places where they overwinter.

So, you’ll be on squishing duty until September  :ohmy:

jezza

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2020, 20:36 »
Hello theres an organic way of getting rid of the beetles,you've already mentioned it  they cluck and lay eggs put a wire fence round the asparagus bed and put the little workers in free manure and a cleaned up bed   jezza

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 21:30 »
Thanks both, I’ve e got chickens but they are in a secure run, not sure I could fence in the asparagus bed, but it’s worth looking at, do you mean in the autumn, for the overwintering beetles?
Also I went a walk round this evening & saw another plot with asparagus & that was covered in caterpillars
« Last Edit: June 26, 2020, 21:34 by snowdrops »

Jonathan

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2020, 23:12 »
The question of neighbours is a tricky one. I get on well with mine, but noticed today that his balding asparagus patch is riddled with beetles, eggs & grubs. I've been combing through mine & squashing all stages 2 or 3 times a week but realise I will never eradicate the things while new stock can fly a few yards over the boundary. What to do . . .

basketcase

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2020, 09:58 »
Maybe knock on the door and say "Hi. I was getting rid of bugs in my asparagus and noticed you had even more than I did! Want help/me to get rid of them, so we don't keep reinfecting each other?"

Or aren't they that kind of neighbour?

xx
Credit crunch propagators

Started by Njal on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post January 31, 2009, 17:32
by Yabba
xx
Oh no, I can' t get Sweet Crunch cucumber seeds.

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 28, 2015, 08:21
by SusieB

Page created in 0.396 seconds with 34 queries.