Now where were we

• 12 Replies

RubyRed

• Experienced Member
Now where were we
« on: June 03, 2020, 13:50 »
   And so it begins. Since lockdown restrictions have been loosened there has been the following . Dead animals on the road. Various dodo thrown from car Windows including the popular fast food wrappers. Vandalism to an old railway carriage burned out. It was used as a waiting room. People walking the wrong way round asda saying,are they still doing that when told. People will go out the beach etc but complain about sending kids to school. At the start of this I was really hoping people would appreciate what had been lost and what they found would be a reawaking of a love of nature and the environment. Realise the real things that matter but no, people seem to be reverting to type. Selfish, ignorant and totally me me me. They want the shops to open again to buy more stuff that they could do without , but they don't want to go back to work. I despair and hate being cynical but see nothing to change my mind. We had an ideal opportunity to change. It was forced on us but it will sadly be lost. Sorry but I feel a bit down atm. Probably the forum isn't the best place eh.

al78

Re: Now where were we
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 16:42 »
I'm still waiting for lockdown restrictions to relax enough that I can see my friends and family face to face again. At the rate we are going, the next time I see my father will be when he's in a coffin. When you live alone, physical connection to loved ones is meaningful, and a keyboard and computer screen is not an equivalent substitute.

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 17:03 »
I've gone back to writing letters to my friends and family.  Somehow I find it more satisfying than text and email.  It's being able to give and receive hugs that I miss the most.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 17:09 »
RubyRed, yes there are always the me me me types, don't think that will ever change, but neighbours round here have been superb, doing everything they can to help the elder generation and others who can't go out for one reason or another :) I think many new friendships have been started .. it's been lovely to see.

al78. Yes, things are difficult, however, it's better to be alive than dead - so if you still need to shield yourself, or your loved ones need to - carry on with the social distancing, for now ;)

al78

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 17:38 »
al78. Yes, things are difficult, however, it's better to be alive than dead -

This is part of the problem, for those not in the vulnerable category, the chance of catching it and dying from it is so incredibly tiny, that the mitigation measures are massively over-proportional to the risk. To be honest, if I am to be denied physical affection for the rest of my life, I would question whether being alive is better.

mrs bouquet

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 17:44 »
RubyRed, I completely agree with all you have said.  I too had hoped that this virus would bring about changes for the better, but it seems not so.    People who are so desperate to see family and friends, might like to remember, that even if they don't die, their actions might result in somebody else dying.  Hang on in there.
I am sure that 99% of us feel like you.   regards,  Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 18:42 »
Saw my 4 year old grandson today for the first time in 12 weeks. We played socially distanced cricket and went for a long country walk... Bliss  :D

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 19:00 »
This is part of the problem, for those not in the vulnerable category, the chance of catching it and dying from it is so incredibly tiny, that the mitigation measures are massively over-proportional to the risk. To be honest, if I am to be denied physical affection for the rest of my life, I would question whether being alive is better.
Actually the chances of being severely ill with long term problems and dying are not that low as to be discountable. Think of it this way, I'm playing Russian roulette with 2 bullets in the chambers but you, being younger and probably fitter only have one bullet. Happy to play? Bit like those adverts for the lottery that said 'It could be you!'

I know it's depressing - but it's not forever. Imagine how Terry Waite felt when kidnapped in the middle east.
Waite remained in captivity for 1,763 days, the first four years of which were spent in solitary confinement. He was finally released on 18 November 1991.

It's depressing and frustrating but it's not forever. Death is pretty permanent though and worth avoiding :)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 20:45 »
Ruby I know how you feel  :)  I think food shop workers across the land are about as fed up as you are, having been worked till they drop since March and having to deal with some pretty vile attitudes from a minority of customers.  Goodness knows how the NHS staff are still on their feet.  There have been some great things going on as well, as MoS says, but it has not been easy for anyone. 

I have been getting bits of shopping for neighbours, but most are fine now.  In the early days they suddenly noticed me going to work in my uniform and pounced with requests for hard to get items like eggs or hand wash or the holy grail of flour.  I did feel a bit like a black market spiv for a while  :lol:  We got quite a lot of customer saying thank you for going out to work and providing a service to them.  That was nice  :D

I think things will change a bit round here.  Reading is a commuter town and a lot of people have been working from home very successfully.  I think that may continue and a lot less travelling for meetings, now people have got used to video conferencing.  Certainly the roads are busier, but nothing like as bad as pre-lockdown  :)

snowdrops

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 20:54 »
al78. Yes, things are difficult, however, it's better to be alive than dead -

I can understand how you might feel this if you live alone as I believe you do but I can assure you catching this & being 1 of the 40,000 plus (& in reality in this country it is plus) is not a good way to die. There is also the matter of the staff who are risking theirs & their families health to look after the unlucky ones.
I’m not sure of the world figures at the moment of deaths but it certainly isn’t a tiny number  :(
Some of my good friends & colleagues are still in the NHS & are exhausted with the level of commitment & dedication that they have given.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 21:39 »
   And so it begins. Since lockdown restrictions have been loosened there has been the following . Dead animals on the road. Various dodo thrown from car Windows including the popular fast food wrappers. Vandalism to an old railway carriage burned out. It was used as a waiting room. People walking the wrong way round asda saying,are they still doing that when told. People will go out the beach etc but complain about sending kids to school. At the start of this I was really hoping people would appreciate what had been lost and what they found would be a reawaking of a love of nature and the environment. Realise the real things that matter but no, people seem to be reverting to type. Selfish, ignorant and totally me me me. They want the shops to open again to buy more stuff that they could do without , but they don't want to go back to work. I despair and hate being cynical but see nothing to change my mind. We had an ideal opportunity to change. It was forced on us but it will sadly be lost. Sorry but I feel a bit down atm. Probably the forum isn't the best place eh.

You want to live in Blackpool!  ;)

Seriously bad at weekends to a point the council are trying to get it a no go to visitors, R rate is currently estimated around 1.8 (according the hospital) and the amount of junk that has been left is untrue.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 23:30 »
You want to live in Blackpool!  ;)

Seriously bad at weekends to a point the council are trying to get it a no go to visitors, R rate is currently estimated around 1.8 (according the hospital) and the amount of junk that has been left is untrue.
We keep getting visitors to Wales who don't realise it's different rules here, some are so stupid as not to understand it's a different country and argue with the police. Some locals are getting quite annoyed...
From here we can see some beautiful beaches. It may even be within the rules to visit them, being local. But it feels wrong and unfair, somehow.  :unsure:
Had to go into town today delivering the post as the village box was full, massive queue on the road for the golden arches fast food factory outlet.  :(

prakash_mib

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2020, 10:22 »
    We had an ideal opportunity to change. It was forced on us but it will sadly be lost.
I do agree with your statement but this mentality instilled on the society over a long period of time and will take long period of time of self realisation to make it better.

The analogy of soil erosion comes to mind. It happens over the number of years. Doesn't overnight and a small underpinning is not going to stop it. It needs years of cultivation and rework to stop and gain more of the earth.
As a society we are at this phase of rebuilding (trust me)! it wont change overnight but there are seeds of change happening with kids these days and we will certainly see a better society in our lifetime!
One kid is handful. Two kids.... Example for chaos theory. Hats off to my mum who managed three...

Page created in 0.111 seconds with 50 queries.