food packaging

• 20 Replies

rowlandwells

food packaging
« on: May 15, 2020, 08:45 »
i know there has been quite a controversy over food packaging and to cut down on food packaging for one reason or another but i am of the opinion that its more important to keep and make sure all food is properly packaged especially in this present situation as far as I'm concerned the need to keep food purchases safe is more important than the reducing packaging on food products

i would be interested to see what your thought are on this topic as the food manufactures have come under quite a bit of criticism from some people over packaging?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: food packaging
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 09:57 »
Long term we really do need to cut back drastically on the use of plastic, although as you say at present that is on hold as we haven't developed a system to replace it.
We used to buy food in paper, greaseproof or waxed bags, and cardboard tubs and boxes. I don't see why we can't go back to that, eventually -  but it'll take a while to adjust.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2020, 09:58 by mumofstig »

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 13:34 »
My daughter is currently getting our supermarket food for us.
We are advised to then wash the packages with soapy water. This will be a challenge with more eco friendly packaging at present I’m afraid.
Keep digging

jezza

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 19:24 »
Hello wouldn't it be worth the food manufacturers looking at making biodegradable packaging eg weetabix make the wrapper out of wheat  that could be put in the bowl with the milk and it could then be eaten ,same with shredded wheat     jezza

al78

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2020, 10:47 »
My daughter is currently getting our supermarket food for us.
We are advised to then wash the packages with soapy water. This will be a challenge with more eco friendly packaging at present I’m afraid.

Good grief, I think that is a bit over the top. Next they'll be telling you to order online only in case you have an accident on the way to the supermarket.

There is taking precautions, then there is paranoia, and I am not living the rest of my life in fear of an extremely unlikely event.

If you are really scared of catching coronavirus from supermarket packaging, wear gloves when opening it.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2020, 20:43 »
There is taking precautions, then there is paranoia, and I am not living the rest of my life in fear of an extremely unlikely event.

Unless I missed something in HH's post, I don't think anyone was suggesting you should.

For people classed as being in a vulnerable group or extremely vulnerable, or living with someone they are trying to shield, is it a very different situation to the one most of us are experiencing.  I don't think cleaning groceries is as uncommon as you may think it is.  A bit of kindness and consideration from others goes a long way in making things easier for people living in real fear of getting ill because of other health issues :) 

8doubles

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 21:41 »
It would be good if the shelf stackers put sliced bread on display with the best before date showing so that everybody did not need to touch  the packaging to see it was nearly out of date ! >:(

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2020, 22:35 »
It would be good if the shelf stackers put sliced bread on display with the best before date showing so that everybody did not need to touch  the packaging to see it was nearly out of date ! >:(
You'd think that would be common sense, but actually being sensible doesn't often seem that common  ::)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2020, 22:45 »
A friend of mine and all her family have had COVID 19.  Their daughter is of delicate  health so they were very careful.  Only her husband went out and only to buy food... but the virus still managed to get into the house from a trip to the supermarket.

It is certainly not foolish to be careful.   

rowlandwells

« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2020, 08:13 »
I'm afraid when it comes to everything being wrapped up that is my first priority everything should be packaged where possible because with food on display its a touched or picked up so many times at least when its packaged i feel its more hygienic

if you still use the local butcher then you will know meat is handled prior to purchase and i have seen some butchers take money and not wash there hands before serving the next customer we always wash our meat except chicken and personally i don't want to go back to unpackaged food the priority is to dispose of the package waste burn it and make sustainable energy instead of buying energy from other countries

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2020, 10:34 »
I was talking to someone who had been on a video call with someone in another country.  During the call, her husband came in from the supermarket and immediately started putting stuff away.  The person on the other end of the call was appalled that the goods weren't being quarantined for 24 hours before being further handled (though I suppose frozen or refrigerated stuff would have to have been handled / disinfected even in that other country).
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2020, 11:29 »
The problem is we're all working with uncertainty, trying to put scraps of information together - often not being certain how valid they are.
Let's say you buy a block of cheese, what if the packer in the creamery had CV-19? He would have been masked and gloved (that's standard practice before CV-19) but what if he has virus on the outside of his gloves because he touched his sweaty forehead? Same for a pack of bacon or a lettuce grown in Spain.
You could go mad with this.
I figure if it was that infectious we'd all be ill by now. Of course you want to control / minimise the risk but it cannot be eliminated totally. I think social distancing and hand washing is a reasonable response to reduce the risk for most of us. Some people are at very high risk if they catch it and they may be best to take further precautions.
People are generally very bad at judging risk - we tremble in fear of flying not realising the real risk is in the drive to the airport.
Personally I don't think it worth washing your shopping - but washing your hands after putting it away is worth it. Am I right? I don't know but I put my faith in those who do like the chief scientific officer and SAGE - although my pal reckons oregano is better to save us from the plague :)

Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

rowlandwells

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2020, 08:29 »
I take your point John however we are all looking to keep safe especially where food is concerned and yes your rite in saying things brought into the country and from local food producers could be at risk having  been handled prior to packaging but what I'm saying is food handled or touched many times in supermarkets before you buy  at least the packaging does make one feel more protected may be some don't agree with that?

you see we have been sticking by the governments advise staying in only going out when its necessary like going to the allotments a bit of shopping basically keeping to social distancing however our neighbours are of the retirement age like us are having friends with kids and others round for tea from other places social distancing is out the widow for them so here we are following the advise from the chief medical teams but others like our neighbours are not bothering are we doing something wrong in by trying to avert catching this virus or should we not give a damn about saving ourselves other's helping the NHS and so on 

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2020, 09:23 »
I'm not saying what other people should do beyond what the government says, Rowland - wish I knew the answers for a fact.  My guess, and that's all it is, is that washing your groceries is defending against a tiny risk that isn't worth the bother. I hope I'm right but I really don't know.
Many years ago I read a story where the Russians attacked the USA with a biological weapon. Eventually the hero found out how they were distributing it and people were falling ill despite being isolated and so on. They'd put it into the glue on the back of postage stamps.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2020, 10:58 »
I was chatting to a plot neighbour yesterday.  His mother is washing her shopping down and so is mine.  They are both classed as extremely vulnerable due to age and underlying health issues.

Neither of us are washing ours, but it is helping our mothers to feel safe, feel better and cope with all the worry.  Are they wasting their time - I have no idea either, but it is a simple measure and does no harm to anyone else. 

Many years ago I read a story where the Russians attacked the USA with a biological weapon. Eventually the hero found out how they were distributing it and people were falling ill despite being isolated and so on. They'd put it into the glue on the back of postage stamps.

Ah well that is a another fiendish plot foiled isn't it.  Stamps are all now self adhesive  :tongue2:  :lol:

clip
My food is looking at me!

Started by DanielCoffey on Chatting on the Plot

6 Replies
Last post April 06, 2020, 14:03
by DanielCoffey
xx
Student food...

Started by Growster... on Chatting on the Plot

12 Replies
Last post July 31, 2018, 08:51
by LILLILEAF
clip
Food waste

Started by jezza on Chatting on the Plot

5 Replies
Last post October 20, 2021, 16:50
by jezza
xx
Junk food

Started by Lardman on Chatting on the Plot

23 Replies
Last post April 12, 2019, 11:26
by John

Page created in 0.148 seconds with 48 queries.