Fruit netting

• 2 Replies

londongardener

• Experienced Member
Fruit netting
« on: May 14, 2020, 22:13 »
We seem to have more gooseberry bushes this year and don't have enough netting.  Is there a good cheap place to buy this from?
We do have Wilkos, Poundland, B&Q, Homebase and Dobbies near us, better to go to one of those or one online?
Or stupid question is it possible to make your own.

Also how long would you take to cover one bush with netting?  It seems to take us a long time - which could be not doing it right.
Also how long do we have to do it before the gooseberries get taken by the pigeons?

snowdrops

Re: Fruit netting
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 08:02 »
I bought fruit netting for my homemade fruit cage from gardening naturally a few years ago, must have been a reasonable price otherwise I’d have bought elsewhere. As for how long it takes depends on what the frame is I suppose mine is an old gazebo that a friend donated & hubby modified, the sides are netted separately to the top so the top netting can be taken off over the winter but the sides stay on.
I’d get the netting on as soon as you can oh & remember to buy netting for fruit as then the bees etc can get in to pollinate another year & you can net earlier.
Have a look on a few sites for ideas of how to net, it’s not easy & better if there’s 2 of you.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Fruit netting
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 11:53 »
This site might be worth a look.  I've bought butterfly netting from them and you can buy the lengths and widths you need.  It cost me around £20 for enough soft fine netting for 4 x 5m brassica tunnels. 

They also do a lot of useful stuff for building your own cages and supports for netting.  I used hoops made from blue water pipe and metal hoops I already had for the tunnels I wanted the netting for, but for something taller for soft fruit they have quite a choice  :)

https://www.gardening-naturally.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_LqO9ti16QIVkO7tCh3CzQs2EAAYASAAEgImFfD_BwE

xx
fruit netting

Started by Antonius on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2010, 15:28
by Antonius
xx
Netting fruit bushes

Started by Spr0ut on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post June 29, 2014, 12:54
by Goosegirl
xx
Best netting for a fruit cage

Started by fatcat1955 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 06, 2010, 19:27
by Yorkie
xx
fruit cage netting suppliers

Started by rem858 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post November 26, 2009, 09:49
by Clover

Page created in 1.474 seconds with 36 queries.