Whatever next!

• 10 Replies

jaydig3

Whatever next!
« on: April 07, 2020, 15:51 »
Last week, as bread was becoming difficult to get, and I needed some both for us and for my brother, who is housebound, I got out my trusty bread making machine.  4 hrs later - no loaf, just a thick brown pancake in the bottom of the pan.  Bread machine is no more.  Three days later - second load of washing stuck half way through cycle in a load of water, and with a locked door.  After emptying said machine, and checking it over, it has been declared well and truly KN....ered!   Today - family fancied chips for lunch.  Didn't have any oven chips in freezer due to lack of same at supermarket - got out the deep fat fryer and promptly blew all the electric in the house.
Is is true that these things come in threes because I sincerely hope so.  Has anyone else suffered like disasters at this particular time when it's almost impossible to replace the duff items?  Why did they all wait until now to give up the ghost??

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Whatever next!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 16:09 »
I feel your pain - my boiler decided to blow a gasket recently as well. Can't get the part to fix it atm either.
I can just about run enough hot water to wash my hair or have a strip wash, before pressure gets into the red  ::)

Good job it turned warmer, so lack of central heating isn't bothering me right now ….

sunnywillow

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 16:29 »
I can sympathise. We have had three horrors:  First the lawn mower died halfway through the 2nd cut of the season, so off to get a new one.  Secondly OH's motorbike packed up, luckily not far from  home; and thirdly a few days before lock-down we were out in the car having a peaceful ride round when that started acting strangely, so nursed it home and left it at the local garage. Luckily the mechanic was able to fix it before lock-down, and it has been on the drive ever since. ??? ???
An old saying that things come in threes ::)

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 17:22 »
I feel your pain - my boiler decided to blow a gasket recently as well. Can't get the part to fix it atm either.
I can just about run enough hot water to wash my hair or have a strip wash, before pressure gets into the red  ::)

Good job it turned warmer, so lack of central heating isn't bothering me right now ….

I feel your pain as well. The thingy on the wall for telling the boiler to make things warm isn't bothering to talk to the boiler some of the time. We can get hot water since the wall thingy isn't involved.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 17:49 »
Hello Mumofstig don't you have an emersion heater as well as the boiler as for weaving gryphons the thingy on the wall not talking to the boiler it might need the battery changing if its got one jezza

WeavingGryphon

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2020, 18:39 »
as for weaving gryphons the thingy on the wall not talking to the boiler it might need the battery changing if its got one jezza

I've tried new batteries, you are taunting me with things I've tried. I've got a load of hot water bottles and I can demuck the kids in hot water.

hasbeans

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2020, 06:23 »
Is is true that these things come in threes because I sincerely hope so.  Has anyone else suffered like disasters at this particular time when it's almost impossible to replace the duff items?  Why did they all wait until now to give up the ghost??
Could the gadgets be of a similar age and dusty/rusty-ness?  I only ask because in the last week I've had blocked ears and done my back in, just waiting for number 3.  I'm fairly certain these are age related disasters.  I can't get replacements  ::)

mrs bouquet

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2020, 11:50 »
Most of the disasters you all describe have happened to me since I have been on my own.    It so horrid not to have a person to talk to.    Every tradesmans I have spoken to is at least a Saint, if you chose to believe that.
Scallywags is a bit nearer the truth.    I just have to accept that soon there will be another disaster, and yes they do usually come in three's.    Hope you all manage to get sorted.   regards   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Goosegirl

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2020, 12:16 »
I feel your pain as well.
1) Recently I couldn't send or receive any emails!  :ohmy: Got a window up which I had to log in but nothing I did made any difference. After ringing BT to make sure I'd paid my dues, I suddenly thought it might be due to me changing my BT password. Tried again, nope, then totally deleted my password and - yo!
2) Now my printer is playing up because when I turn it on it doesn't always print. I turn it off then back on again and then it works but some lines seem to be a bit "scratched."
3) My DVD player/ recorder has stopped recording. When I try to record whatever and go onto the play list, it's not showing any programmes. Yes, I re-tuned my TV, switched the damn thing off then on again, tried every which way to sort it out with no success so OH threw his toys out of the pram and went to bed. I rang the man who put a new aerial onto our chimney who basically said it's not my fault because it's past its sell-by-date as loss of programme lists is the first sign.  :wacko:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig3

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2020, 15:23 »

I think your one disaster far outweighs my three .  It  must be awful not to have hot water or heating and I hope you get it sorted out soon. As you say, at least the weather has improved lately, I just hope it stays this warm until you have your heating fixed, but not too hot, or you'll be wanting lots more showers that, at the moment, you can't have.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2020, 23:06 »
I will second jezzas post.  I only discovered I had an emersion heater switch a few years ago during that REALLY cold winter when a pump froze in the attic....I had spent days boiling pans for hot water whilst waiting for the boiler repair guy before my dad suggested it.....hey presto, I found a switch in the airing cupboard and hot water galore :nowink:....not the most economical way of heating water these days but i couldnt believe i didnt realise i had one :lol:

hope you get it sorted soon, although I think these are the kind of things that are allowed..obviously you have to observe social distancing etc....but if its ok for my next door neighbours to be having a bespoke kitchen fitted at the moment, im sure its OK for your boiler to be repaired :mad: but if you are repairing this yourself, hardware/supply shops are mainly still allowed to open.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 23:09 by goose »

Page created in 0.12 seconds with 40 queries.