Seedlings wilting ! Please Help

• 4 Replies

azk404

Seedlings wilting ! Please Help
« on: April 06, 2020, 22:09 »
Hello there,

I'm growing some tomato's and peppers for the second year in a row, however this year I have suddenly run into a bit of trouble with some of the tomato seedlings. Practically over night several of them have wilted and are looking very poorly.

They were planted on 8th march into a 12 cell self-watering propagation pots. They are being grown on a sunny windowsill in a London flat.

All has been fine till about 4 days ago when I noticed a rotten egg smell coming from the water reservoir and after inspecting I found about 6 small white mushrooms growing on the capalery matting and some clear gooey substance in the water leading up to the pots base. The seedlings looked fine so I changed the water, washed the matting and put them back.

Yesterday I notice 3 seedlings of the same tomato type had wilted a bit and I could smell the rotten smell a bit again. I repotted the wilting 3 seedlings to try and save them this morning as they looked even worse but they don't look good. When I was repotting the roots of the play itself didn't small rotten.

By this evening I noticed 2 more had wilted now as well!

A quick good search said it might be root rot as the soil was to wet and not aerated enough.

Even if some other seedlings are not grow enough should I re-pot everything ASAP? By the photos and description does that sound right?

Best
E
IMG_9771.jpeg
IMG_9770.jpeg
IMG_9772.jpeg
« Last Edit: April 06, 2020, 22:14 by azk404 »

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Seedlings wilting ! Please Help
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2020, 07:47 »
Looks very much like either verticillium wilt, root rot, or a combination of the two, both caused by overwatering (and excessive humidity.)

Probably worth repotting into fresh compost - although the worst affected plants look to be a bit too far gone, the others will hopefully recover.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

azk404

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2020, 09:20 »
Ok I will repot the infected plants to see but yes I don't think they will recover. Hopefully the others can last till tomorrow when some worm casting fertiliser arrives, the should I just repot everything even if they could grow more in the prop pots there in?

Interesting why this has happened when I have used these self watering pots a few times before with no issue. Maybe I needed more perlite for more drainage as the perlite I used was the remains of last years and it was quite fine and broken up.

Did those mushrooms have anything to do with it? I have used a peat free compost this year. But I guess the mushrooms grew as they had the right most/wet conditions.

The stems and under the leaves are quite purple as well which a google search says it might be because they need feeding. Could this be the compost not having enough or should I of mixed a bit of nutrients in at the start of germination?

Also, it's only happened on the Garterperle tomato's or is that probably just coincidence?

Thanks for the reply
« Last Edit: April 07, 2020, 09:34 by azk404 »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2020, 10:55 »
Repotting into fresh compost should ensure a fungus-free medium for your plants, as well as supplying more nutrients. The purple colour is probably just an indication that they're struggling rather than a specific nutrient shortage (as you say, not all the plants are affected.)

Try watering by sitting the pots in a tray of water until the compost is wetted through to the surface, then pour away the remaining water and don't repeat until the compost starts to look quite dry again.

azk404

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2020, 13:01 »
Ok I will give it a try and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help Jay

xx
wilting cauliflower

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 26, 2018, 20:12
by Grubbypaws
xx
Wilting garlic

Started by pumpkinpatch on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 23:12
by pedro
xx
Wilting Courgettes

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 14, 2012, 19:19
by Growster...
xx
cucumbers wilting away

Started by hanssg on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 25, 2016, 22:44
by hanssg

Page created in 0.406 seconds with 37 queries.