Moving tomato and cucumber seedlings to the Greenhouse

• 6 Replies

OakR

I've sown and grown some tomato seedlings under growllights at home for the first time this year.

I'm now running out of space as the plants grow and I need to move some to the unheated greenhouse, which is probably a bit risky this time of year (am in London) and I've never had the greenhouse before either (it's at the allotment so difficult to bring them into the house at night).

Would I be better off moving the smaller seedlings as they are less accustomed to the house warmth or the larger ones, or just pick at random and see how they get on?

Growster...

Re: Moving tomato and cucumber seedlings to the Greenhouse
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 14:29 »
I've just potted on 21 tom seedlings, Oak, and they are in the GH under a plastic cover.

They all seem to have arrived at different times this year, so it was a bit of a sort-out, and the tiny ones have gone back upstairs where they'll have a chance of more heat, sun and light.

Yours should be OK, as the weather isn't going to be that bad, but they all need some TLC at this early stage!

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 16:32 »
I have my chillies in the polytunnel at the moment inside a decent propagator for an extra layer of protection and they're doing fine! Apart from the two seeldings that got nabbed by a slug...

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 17:26 »
This is the problem with starting seedlings too early - the aftercare.

Mine are staying put indoors until April at least. I do have a heated greenhouse, but at the moment it's set just to keep frost off. I'm not willing this early in the year to crank it up to the ideal minimum temperature of 10C - especially with overnight temps forecast for 0C this coming weekend!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

OakR

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 09:09 »
Thanks everyone - I got some fleece yesterday so will wrap that around the shelves I'll put them on, and keep some indoors hopefully for another few weeks and see how they both do. I might go for a later start next year but it's been a fun experiment with the kids if nothing else so far, and maybe I'll get lucky with a few!

Robster

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 13:46 »
Like already said it's risky early on.  But I do it anyway and use plenty of fleece and bubble wrap.  Sometimes you just have no option.  I expect my tomatoes and chillies will be in the unheated greenhouse around mid April.  Then have to nurse things along for the best part of a month.

OakR

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 15:16 »
Well thy are in, layer of fleece and we will see what happens. Some of my fellow allotmenteers seem to think they should be ok, though I've not seen a greenhouse with any actually in! I will let everyone know how they get on.

xx
Moving Tomato seedlings to the Greenhouse

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 24, 2008, 18:12
by mdueal
xx
Moving carrot seedlings

Started by Vagabond on Grow Your Own

35 Replies
Last post June 02, 2016, 21:38
by Vagabond
xx
Moving tomatoe seedlings to polytunnel

Started by Mark's Sussex Allotment on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 06, 2014, 16:51
by gavinjconway
xx
Cucumber seedlings

Started by mattyslsot on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 20:12
by Jay Dubya

Page created in 0.709 seconds with 37 queries.