Enid Blyton stories...

• 22 Replies

Growster...

Enid Blyton stories...
« on: March 09, 2020, 07:31 »
Weaving Gryphon and Goosegirl have stirred a memory from some time ago...

What was your favourite story by this fabulous lady?

I'll open the bidding with 'The Rockingdown Mystery'! It was the first book by her that I ever read, and I believed everything that went on too! I can't look at a staple (the wire sort), without remembering Barney climbing into a window by 'grasping a staple' in the frame...

C'mon, there are plenty to choose from!

Goosegirl

Re: Enid Blyton stories...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 10:38 »
My Enid Blyton books were a large part of my childhood reading. I had some of The Famous Five, The Secret Seven, and maybe a couple more. I remember reading one that had a picture of a granny with a pair of scissors pointing up to the sky to see if she could cut enough of the blue bits to make a sailor a pair of trousers but can't remember which one it was. I've just had a Giggle but can only find collections of them but mine were single ones. What happier way than to read them when you were in bed with the tummy-ache!
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

GraciesGran

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:29 »
Famous five were always my favourites.  They persuaded me that reading was pleasurable and not a chore, happy days.  Still panic if there are less than five books waiting to be read.

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2020, 11:36 »
I was always a fan of the .... of Adventure series. Especially the Valley of Adventure which I always found a little sad with the elderly couple who didn't know the war had ended.

jezza

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2020, 16:28 »
Hello I'm not sure if this is an Enid Blyton book Topsy and Turvy, about a cat and a dog if I'm wrong it was a woman's name and I can't remember it jezza

grinling

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2020, 17:05 »
Grew up with the famous five, which is still being written in Germany.
Also St Claire's and Mallory Towers.
I bought the Adventure series for my children, which I loved reading.
Wishing chair

snowdrops

« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2020, 18:50 »
I enjoyed the Famous Five & Secret Seven books but can’t remember any actual titles. I particularly enjoyed reading The Magic Faraway Tree to my children , but only vaguely remembered it from my childhood but my sister tells me it was a well read one. My most favourite book/S from childhood was Pookie by Ivy Wallace & as luck would have it I managed to get a couple a few years ago, it’s about a little white rabbit who has wings & can fly, pure bliss & he goes to live with a lovely girl called Belinda ( which is similar to my name) & & sleeps in a lovely wicker sewing basket lol
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

wighty

« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2020, 19:11 »
I still have a full set of Mallory Towers, St. Clares and Faraway Tree series.  All rather battered but I do still read them when I get a fit of nostalgia.  I think I read somewhere at the weekend that Mallory Towers is now going to be turned into a film/tv programme?

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2020, 20:27 »
Brer Rabbit was probably my favourite .
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2020, 20:42 »
Awwww - marvellous!

Such memories of a super lady!

Didn't she just bring childhood alive with her insight, love, and admiration for children and their needs!

I suppose the Harry Potter stories did something similar, but I tried them and just didn't want to go on...

Plot 1 Problems

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2020, 20:57 »
I remember a teacher misguidedly reading the Magic Faraway Tree in class once and everytime Fanny was mentioned a chorus of titters would be heard from all the 8 year old boys.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 20:58 by Plot 1 Problems »

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2020, 21:07 »
Oh yes...

Snubby had a Spaniel dog back then...

Who on earth could envisage an aged aunt, letting such a couple into their homes for an adventure?

I did!

snowdrops

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2020, 21:59 »
Awwww - marvellous!

Didn't she just bring childhood alive with her insight, love, and admiration for children and their needs!

I suppose the Harry Potter stories did something similar, but I tried them and just didn't want to go on...

Ooh I love the HP books & films

mrs bouquet

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2020, 10:03 »
Yes, all the Blyton books were a big hit with me.    I especially remember the "Rilloby Fair Mystery ".    They spotted the bad man by the tufts of hair growing out of his ears !!  Now I always chuckle to myself when I spot a "Bad Man"   :D :D   Mrs Bouquet
Birds in cages do not sing  -  They are crying.

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2020, 10:25 »
Awwww - marvellous!

Ooh I love the HP books & films

Mrs Growster has read all the Harry Potter stories at least twice, and may well have another divulgement again very soon!

Have you tried J.K.Rowling's other books, writing as Robert Galbraith, Snows? She tells a great yarn about a private detective, Cormoran Strike, and the three I've read have been fantastic! Best to read them in order if you can!

Getting back to 'fantasy' though, I suppose it's something which never grabs me much. My dad used to read all The Hobbit yarns, but I just couldn't get on with those either...

There again, I just crave after 'Life on Mars' and 'Ashes to ashes', so I'm not a complete charlatan I suppose...

(And I loved 'The Prisoner' as well)!

xx
stranger stories about the garden

Started by rudyhock on Chatting on the Plot

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2018, 01:48
by rudyhock

Page created in 0.174 seconds with 44 queries.