Greengage tree problem?

• 4 Replies

erikaz1

Greengage tree problem?
« on: March 05, 2020, 15:30 »
I've just been for a wander round the garden and spotted the greengage tree is looking a bit silvery and has split bark. Does anyone know what this is and how do I fix it?
20200305_145748.jpg
20200305_145753.jpg

jambop

Re: Greengage tree problem?
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 16:20 »
That does not look good... in fact I reckon its had it :(  Some sort of canker looks like the tree is dead under the bark. Never seen silver leaf could it be that ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2020, 16:22 by jambop »

Swing Swang

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2020, 20:49 »
I'm no expert on canker, but I'm not 100% convinced it is canker - could just be split bark which is better news and may be due to the amount of rain we've had this year (or some other stress factor). If you think that you're going to lose the tree anyway then it might be worth waiting for a dry day (ha ha!) and cutting around the lesion with a Stanley blade then cleaning out the dead material and letting the tree scar over naturally. If it's canker then you're likely to see discoloured cambium and you'll just keep enlarging your area of 'surgery' until you get to the healthy cambium. If it rings the tree then it's a gonner unfortunately. If it does ring the tree as a last attempt to save it then you could cut it back to just above the scion and it could well sprout again - if it is canker and it's gone all the way to the scion then it's as good as dead anyway. Having said that please don't do anything drastic based only on my 'advice'  - greengages are my favourite and I'd hadt you to do anything unnecessary.

jambop

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2020, 21:10 »
I'm no expert on canker, but I'm not 100% convinced it is canker - could just be split bark which is better news and may be due to the amount of rain we've had this year (or some other stress factor). If you think that you're going to lose the tree anyway then it might be worth waiting for a dry day (ha ha!) and cutting around the lesion with a Stanley blade then cleaning out the dead material and letting the tree scar over naturally. If it's canker then you're likely to see discoloured cambium and you'll just keep enlarging your area of 'surgery' until you get to the healthy cambium. If it rings the tree then it's a gonner unfortunately. If it does ring the tree as a last attempt to save it then you could cut it back to just above the scion and it could well sprout again - if it is canker and it's gone all the way to the scion then it's as good as dead anyway. Having said that please don't do anything drastic based only on my 'advice'  - greengages are my favourite and I'd hadt you to do anything unnecessary.

I think that there is more than just what is being shown in two pictures ! This tree looks to have serious issues. The bark of the tree is breaking away around every branch that can be seen in these two photos.

erikaz1

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 14:41 »
None of those things sound too promising :( The bark has become noticeably silvery in appearance too. Are any of these things contagious? I've got a lot of other fruit trees in the garden and I'll be devastated if they're all at risk. The Denbigh plum has come on really well since I planted it so I really hope that survives.

xx
greengage tree

Started by teflon on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 11, 2010, 22:34
by teflon
xx
greengage

Started by Rampant_Weasel on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 23, 2015, 19:24
by Rampant_Weasel
xx
Greengage

Started by Paul55 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 08, 2021, 11:08
by Yorkie
xx
greengage question?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 09:30
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.39 seconds with 32 queries.