abies korena

• 5 Replies

bright lights

abies korena
« on: February 08, 2008, 21:36 »
Have owned an abies korena for about 5 years now and they are supposed to produce blue cones even when very young.Imagine mine is about 7 yrs old and its four foot tall but its done * all! Anybody any ideas what i might be doing wrong? :?

Gwiz

abies korena
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 06:50 »
They are quite shallow rooted, and don't like compacted soil.
are you close to the sea? could be a salt intolerance if you are. ( wild shot in the dark )

gobs

abies korena
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 08:44 »
I would think, the young cone bearing age only applies if the tree is grafted, if a seedling you are looking at a decade, say.

Also, better in garden than pot to grow well. This tree is recommended for the smaller garden but in earnest can grow to some 30 feet or so. :wink:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

bright lights

abies korena
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 08:58 »
Oh! i am by the sea,down on the south coast,do you know that they dont like salt or are you guessing? Never wouldve thought of that in a million years! Plant is in ground thats not compacted  :shock:

Gwiz

abies korena
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 11:10 »
Quote from: "bright lights"
Oh! i am by the sea,down on the south coast,do you know that they dont like salt or are you guessing? Never wouldve thought of that in a million years! Plant is in ground thats not compacted  :shock:

Like I said, wild shot in the dark. not all shrubs/ trees enjoy a salt diet!.
gob's comments make a lot of sence tho'

gobs

abies korena
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 18:18 »
I was just guessing there, but is usually the case. Checked since then with this tree nursery's site, I like. They confirm, that grafted ones will bear cones sooner but don't put a time on things, might have to do with they list under most "commonly known" varieties about 30 of them. :shock:

Apart from what Gwiz said they say the tree likes a bit acidic soil (we could have guessed that too, really), so I don't think much else you could do than give it some azalea feed or similar(only if it's not grafted of course) and wait. :wink:

All they say, the blue coned species bear cones at a young age for a fir tree, grafts start at 1.5m hight, yearly growth rate:15-30cm. So probably nothing wrong with your tree. :)

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 30 queries.