Comfrey Confusion

• 2 Replies

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
Comfrey Confusion
« on: September 04, 2019, 12:54 »
Hi all, I'm confused.
I'm trying to make my own Comfrey fertilizer and I'm not sure I have done it correctly. This is what I have done:
I have 3/4 filled with water an old wheelie bin, (still has the lid on) and started to put Comfrey leaves and Nettle in there. They have been placed in loose and generally float around the top. Its been steeping for some time now and I have to say it really stinks. I give it a stir a couple of times a week. Id say the bin has probably been made up for at least 3 months.
I have done some research and from what I see the liquid should be a brown colour. I know concentrated Comfrey is made without water and is a very dark brown and has to be diluted. I also know that if water is used then I'm essentially already diluting it and can use it straight from a watering can.
What I don't understand is why the water in the bin is a mild green colour. What am I doing wrong? I'm not sure when the mix will be ready to use. Should I expect it to be brown or has my method cocked it up?
Thanks all.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Comfrey Confusion
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 13:44 »
As you say, if you pack comfrey leaves into drainpipe and let it drip, you get very dark brown liquid.  If you add water, you get a lighter colour.  It all stinks to high heaven however you make it I'm afraid  :lol:

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, you have just made a dilute mix you can dip a can into and water with.  After 3 months of steeping, all the good stuff will be there in the water, so you have got what you wanted  :)

Iecabus

• Experienced Member
  • Plot holder since January 2018
Re: Comfrey Confusion
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 14:02 »
As you say, if you pack comfrey leaves into drainpipe and let it drip, you get very dark brown liquid.  If you add water, you get a lighter colour.  It all stinks to high heaven however you make it I'm afraid  :lol:

I don't think you are doing anything wrong, you have just made a dilute mix you can dip a can into and water with.  After 3 months of steeping, all the good stuff will be there in the water, so you have got what you wanted  :)
Thanks New Shoot, ill carry on the way I have.

xx
Cauliflower confusion

Started by Lenny59 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 26, 2008, 19:09
by gobs
xx
Strawberry confusion

Started by Snap Dragon on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 08:16
by gobs
xx
tomato confusion

Started by BobandJack on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 11, 2009, 17:35
by Kristen
xx
Tomato confusion

Started by EzLou on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post September 18, 2007, 13:08
by muntjac

Page created in 0.481 seconds with 40 queries.