Compost all at once

• 3 Replies

Count Basil

Compost all at once
« on: July 02, 2019, 22:01 »
Hi, this is my first post. I am really curious about one aspect of making compost that I can't seem to pin down. The article on this site is great by the way! I have made 4 bays of pallet bins (approx 1 cubic metre+ ) and begun building heaps in a rather anarchic fashion with anything I could get my hands on, aware only of the need to balance green and brown (which translates for me as, make sure you add brown - since green seems to be so easy to come by). My question to the forum is how can i find a way to add all ingredients at once for the perfect pile as I mightn't manage 1mtr square in one go (should I bother?). Are there ways of storing ingredients for a small time until you can make a pile in one go? Now that I know about adding lime and activator I want to do it copy-book style! I'd also love to revisit the piles I have already started and amend those with lime and activator (although they look pretty OK I want them to be nutrient-appropriate). How can I do that? Ideas? Thanks.

Mintyboy

Re: Compost all at once
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2019, 09:36 »
I tend to use one of my bins as a collecting bin and throw into it everything I am going to compost, not bothering at this stage about greens and browns. When this bin is full to overflowing I then turn it into one of my other bins adding browns ,a sprinkling of rabbit poos, coffee grounds ( not sure if they make any difference, but they smell nice) and any water if the material is a bit dry. The bin is then sealed up and left to 'cook' until the bin is needed again, usually 6 to 9 months.
The resaulting compost may not be perfect, but it's good enough for using on the plot.

Count Basil

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2019, 09:27 »
Thanks Mintyboy, thatís a good no-fuss approach which, after all the head scratching, is starting to look like my favourite. I might still add a few sprinklings of lime though as lots of places seem to advise that.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2019, 11:44 »
Good morning Count Basil,
bung in a few paragraph breaks please, there is nothing more intimidating and difficult to read than a big block of text. 

And with that I'll say welcome

Cheers,  Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

xx
Compost

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post January 27, 2008, 20:10
by Annie
xx
Compost

Started by londongardener on General Gardening

19 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 10:49
by chrissie B
xx
Compost bin

Started by angelwings on General Gardening

8 Replies
Last post April 13, 2008, 20:38
by angelwings
xx
What to add to compost?

Started by Dantheman on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post December 31, 2014, 10:17
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 39 queries.