Layers Cramp

• 5 Replies

milliebecks

• Experienced Member
Layers Cramp
« on: February 06, 2008, 11:06 »
Anyone know anything about Layers Cramp (is it treatable, how, why does it happen?)
I read something about it in an old book, but it wasn't very helpful. The symptoms fit a rather sad chook I have at the moment. She's looking generally sorry for herself and moving awkwardly on her haunches (If chickens have haunches?) She's at (or should be at) POL, but hasn't laid yet. Was fit and happy yesterday morning, but quite sorry for herself by mid afternoon.
Any ideas?

babe

• elvis king of chooks
Layers Cramp
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2008, 11:08 »
is she eating, drinking pooping ok?

milliebecks

• Experienced Member
Layers Cramp
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2008, 12:12 »
Hard to tell. I've put her in the broody ark with the water inside the house. The food is just outside the pop hole and she has moved to sit in the sun in the doorway - so hopefully she'll take some food.

Foxy

Layers Cramp
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2008, 12:54 »
Was wondering whether she has a egg in there and having trouble passing it. A lot of my POLs have started laying this week. Sometimes you can feel it and the hen looks like its" waddling" with her rear end quite low. I had this with one of my girls recently.
This is quite a useful link and has some treatment tips. Probably be extra careful in handling just in case it is as sometimes the egg can break inside.

http://www.pekinbantams.com/egg_bound.asp

Aunty I was wondering if some info on egg bound hens would be useful in your poultry section? Or is it there and I couldn't find it?I would imagine this could be common this time of year. Just a thought. :D

milliebecks

• Experienced Member
Layers Cramp
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2008, 14:52 »
I did think of that and check - externally at least. Her pelvic bones have certainly widened, so I think she will lay soon and will keep an eye on her as I wouldn't rule it out.
As it is, she is now up and about again and looking disgruntled only because she has been separated from her mates! She has eaten some corn, is standing and moving with no trouble, and her tail is up again. What on earth could it have been? Is she just an attention seeking malingerer? :?

milliebecks

• Experienced Member
Layers Cramp
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:43 »
Just an update - if anyone is interested :)

Daisy is now (fingers crossed) back to her normal self and reunited with her mates. Haven't a clue what caused her problem! I did find a soft shelled egg in one of the nest boxes ...... and she was closest to it at the time (could almost convince myself she had a guilty expression :roll: ), but it looked more like a bantam egg ......

At least she's well again :D

question
layers or a mix of corn and layers?

Started by jobson336 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 12:44
by jamima
xx
New layers

Started by jaws on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 22, 2009, 17:50
by andreadon
xx
best layers

Started by brookegard on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 25, 2011, 10:34
by brookegard
xx
Layers pellets

Started by Fredjones on The Hen House

14 Replies
Last post December 24, 2009, 09:09
by joyfull

Page created in 0.365 seconds with 37 queries.