Shakespeare onions trying to make flowers

• 17 Replies

missmoneypenny

Shakespeare onions trying to make flowers
« on: May 08, 2019, 18:20 »
I assume I must pull them off? Or should I leave them? TIA.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Shakespeare onions trying to make flowers
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2019, 19:29 »
Cut them off or the onion plant will think its job is done ie flowers have been made successfully, and not grow a proper onion.

Some of mine are bolting like this too  :(
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

missmoneypenny

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 21:51 »
Thanks sunshine, that’s what I thought.

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 06:37 »
My overwintered shallots and red onions are doing this too. They have thick necks yet when I pulled one up it had barwly even started to swell at the base. I sense disappointment on the horizon!

Paul Plots

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 18:39 »
For the last couple of years several of my onions (grown from sets) began to produce flower stalks and of course, even by removing the flower very early on, they developed a core and were not as they should be for eating.

If it happens again this year my options are:
  • carry on and accept the losses
  • give up altogether with onions and stick to shallots that have so far always produced a great crop
  • try using heat treated sets (which I don't usually do)

Once last chance.... (much depends on the weather I know)

Heated treated anyone? What do you think?
Never keep your wish-bone where your back-bone ought to be.

Mr Dog

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2019, 21:03 »
For the last couple of years several of my onions (grown from sets) began to produce flower stalks and of course, even by removing the flower very early on, they developed a core and were not as they should be for eating.

If it happens again this year my options are:
  • carry on and accept the losses
  • give up altogether with onions and stick to shallots that have so far always produced a great crop
  • try using heat treated sets (which I don't usually do)

Once last chance.... (much depends on the weather I know)

Heated treated anyone? What do you think?

Yes you get far fewer (I won't say none because I've had a few) bolters from heat treated sets, but my experience is that the onions tend to be smaller than overwintered sets - presumably because they aren't (usually) available till spring and so get planted out later. From seed is a good option - see various 'onions from seed' threads on this board..

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2019, 23:15 »
As far as Im aware all of my sets are heat treated, so far the golden gourmet shallots and electric onions i planted back in september have all started sending up flower heads. I blame the hot 2 wks in April, maybe they didnt get enough water?

Paul Plots

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2019, 08:15 »
As far as Im aware all of my sets are heat treated, so far the golden gourmet shallots and electric onions i planted back in september have all started sending up flower heads. I blame the hot 2 wks in April, maybe they didnt get enough water?

It could be lack of water - not sure..but..

I'm always a bit behind with everything - making a late start.. down here in the sunny south there's no excuse but there we go. My shallots go into the ground in February at the earliest. I have even put them in pots in the greenhouse in January before now and then planted them out once they are shooting well. I have not, so far, had any "go to seed" or start flowering. I get mine from Willlkoo as they are cheap or any chain store rather than pay a fortune for something similar from a 'proper' seed merchant. I have tried planting some left over ones from the previous years harvest - cant tell the difference I forget which ones they are and they perform well too.

Nip the flowery bits out of yours and hope for the best - Hope they have split and started to make new bulbs?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2019, 12:55 »
Worth remembering too that any onion or shallot that has bolted won't store at all well because the thickened neck is almost impossible to dry sufficiently to stop the rot getting in.  :(
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2019, 16:39 »
The shallots do appear to have divided yes. The overwinter ones arent a massive issue in terms of storage bacuse they were always going to the first eaters, I just worry a bit about the others flowering too.

I won't be spending on heat treated next time, clearly doeant make that much difference...

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2019, 16:54 »
Dare I say  :blush: I rarely have onions boltng since moving away from sets and growing from seed.
Sets were a nightmare, seed is so much easier, more choice and far more reliable, food for thought for next season.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2019, 18:35 »
When do you start the seeds off Aidy?

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2019, 18:49 »
I normally start mine mid Feb and they are transplanted end of March depending on weather.
This year I put the seed in tubs with damp kitchen paper to chit then popped them into 6 inch pots to grow on. I put 25 seeds to each pot so they had some growing room.
They chitted within a week under the bathroom radiator.
I also did my leeks this way too this year.

Mr Dog

« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2019, 19:01 »
When do you start the seeds off Aidy?

This year's Onion from Seed thread: https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=129331.0

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2019, 20:17 »
Onions from seed, I'm convinced. Prechitting though? Sounds like a bit of a faff! Having done a bit of research I'd probably go for red Brunswick and Santero, sown in cells (48 per standard tray) doubled up for removal of the weakest. Sound ok?

Page created in 0.434 seconds with 53 queries.