Spring Surge

• 6 Replies

andyww2013

• Experienced Member
Spring Surge
« on: April 20, 2019, 20:00 »
So as Spring begins to bite, how's your plot doing...

On the plus side...
Onions growing rapidly, board beans coming back to life again (this will be about the 5th time since I planted them. :) )  Cabbage, Kale and Sprouts in the ground. 

On the negative side...
Frost has killed all my potatoes (or at least the leafy bit) and some of the small cabbage plants leaf’s have turned yellow.  Parsnips not germinated very well, despite me chitting them first and no sign of the beetroot I planted 3 weeks ago

theothermarg

• me
Re: Spring Surge
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2019, 20:33 »
Broad beans looking a bit nibbled by flea beetle, garlic going a bit brown and onions nibbled by ? but covered up now, what ever it is has also nibbled new raspberry growth and rhubarb leaves ??.
On the plus side most of the brassicas are pricked out and growing on well, there is a row of carrots and beetroot and one or two parsnips are showing (seeds covered with Enviromesh against mystery nibbler) Oh Mange tout peas have taken ( also protected by wire) beginning to look a bit like Colditz  :wacko: 
« Last Edit: April 20, 2019, 22:37 by theothermarg »
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

DHM

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2019, 22:21 »
In the PT, everything potted up that was sown feb to early april, last indoor sowings done on Friday (beans etc).

Somethings decimated all the tomato seedlings and most of the marigolds so looks like Ill be buying in young plants next month...

Outside the ground sown stuff is taking its time to show but the romaine lettuces are poking through. And the garlic, onions and shallots are really looking good!

Big disappointment is the sunflowers the little lads sown, mostly felled by slugs but theres a life lesson there somewhere...

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2019, 10:24 »
Overwintered onions, garlic, shallots and Wizard beans are really getting going now. 
Potatoes are in but not up. 
Various cabbage, greens, beetroot, onions from seed and other bits either in or hardening off ready to go in.
Tomatoes and aubergines all up and growing on.
Just made a start on sowing french beans and squash and the sweetcorn has been set to chit.

So far, so good.  No big disasters, a few no shows of seeds, but nothing too much to worry about  :D

Goosegirl

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2019, 13:56 »
With not being able to predict the weather in mid-March I used my mini g-house with its new cover that's sat inside the unheated main one to start off various veg and flowers and boy has it done well for me! I had only two out of five raised beds dug over so the only outdoor planting has been my pots and onion sets which went in yesterday. Doing it that way at least I know what's germinating instead of wasting time and space sowing seeds that may not even grow. This last week I've been potting them on with the hope that they'll be big enough to plant out later on when the other beds have been dug over and we've had some rain but will still need some protection from the usual garden predators.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2019, 16:24 »
Taking a break from cooking the lunch today I wandered into the garden, only to find all of the new shoots on the roses absolutely encrusted with greenfly!!  There are some ladybirds and hoverflies about, but I think they'll struggle to contain this outbreak without a little help.  On with the rubber gloves - let squishing commence!

Pescador

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2019, 17:26 »
Really flourishing this week. Spuds are up, 1st beetroot sowing emerged.
Broad beans autumn and spring sowings going well.
Garlic and onions on-stream
Strawberries flowering like mad
P4210059.jpg
P4210061.jpg
P4210060.JPG
Every Pickle Helps!

Paul's Preserves and Pickles.

xx
spring

Started by goodegg on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post February 23, 2010, 18:51
by Missy1970
xx
Spring!

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 22, 2020, 06:43
by GraciesGran
xx
early spring veg

Started by seedman on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 22, 2011, 20:31
by seedman
xx
spring garlic?

Started by sunshineband on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 07, 2009, 14:43
by sunshineband

Page created in 0.409 seconds with 29 queries.