Pepper Propagation

• 7 Replies

mashauk

Pepper Propagation
« on: February 02, 2008, 12:27 »
I've had some seeds in the propagator for 3 weeks, but no sign of life, is it right to assume that nothings going to happen now and try again later in the year, or is it worth leaving them in a bit longer?  The packet said "up to 3 weeks" for germination. I'm thinking about starting some tomato, basil and lettuce seeds off in there this weekend.

Ta

Sally A

Pepper Propagation
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:33 »
I think Gobs puts her chilli/pepper seeds in water for 24 hours before planting. Good seeds sink, bad seeds float.

Might we worth a try.

mashauk

Pepper Propagation
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 12:37 »
Quote from: "Sally A"
I think Gobs puts her chilli/pepper seeds in water for 24 hours before planting. Good seeds sink, bad seeds float.

Might we worth a try.

That's interesting, will give it a try, I've never succeeded with peppers or chillis so I'll try anything (within reason :lol: )

Sally A

Pepper Propagation
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 12:40 »
I did read it on here, have a look under her chili post in the wiggywotsit.

gobs

Pepper Propagation
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 13:27 »
Yes, I think quite a few people now posted how they do it, but hang on there, they can take longer. Make sure they get enough heat and light. And moisture.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

mumof4

Re: Pepper Propagation
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2008, 13:56 »
Quote from: "mashauk"
I've had some seeds in the propagator for 3 weeks, but no sign of life, is it right to assume that nothings going to happen now and try again later in the year, or is it worth leaving them in a bit longer?  The packet said "up to 3 weeks" for germination. I'm thinking about starting some tomato, basil and lettuce seeds off in there this weekend.

Ta

You'll find peepers do take a long time to germinate and is impotatnat to make sure they are warm enough. I would hang on before giving up as they may show signs of life in the next few days.

Fat Hen

Re: Pepper Propagation
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 22:05 »
Quote from: "mashauk"

Ta
g

What kind of pepper seeds, sweet peppers or chillis.  Some chillis namely Chinense can take up to a month and need/prefer temps of around 28 deg C.

love-my-plot

• Experienced Member
Pepper Propagation
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2008, 22:47 »
I did mine (peppers) in the airing cupboard,  sown on 30th Jan and they've germinated today.

xx
saffron propagation help

Started by Kevin67 on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 18, 2014, 14:22
by Kevin67
xx
rosemary propagation

Started by canwickplot on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post June 06, 2009, 14:10
by SG6
xx
Sorrel Propagation

Started by mamalovesmambo on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 10:22
by mamalovesmambo
xx
seed germination and propagation

Started by thumperrabbit on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 18:09
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.75 seconds with 29 queries.