Raised bed advice please for new allotment user

• 4 Replies

simpson-allen

« on: January 30, 2008, 11:18 »
Needing some advice please. Cleared a massively overgrown allotment plot using a combination of Roundup and a petrol strimmer. Dug over twice trying to remove as many roots as I could but there's still millions in there. As the plot is very clayey and therefore also very boggy I've decided to create raised beds.  

Questions I have are as follows.

Will the weeds and grass roots left in the original soil underneath the planned raised beds, still eventually grow through or will 8” to 9” of soil on top of the old ground be enough to ensure they remain dormant and eventually rot away?

If the answer to the above is yes they will grow back, what should I cover the original plot with before constructing the raised beds. Obviously if I use plastic then the new raised beds could become waterlogged and it presumably also means I am restricted to the size of crops I can grow as the plant roots wont be able to grow any deeper than 8” to 9”where they will meet whatever barrier I put in. Someone suggested cardboard as although it will rot away eventually, it will stay intact long enough to smother any weed roots still active in the old ground.

In any event until it does rot away what crops should I avoid planting because of the temporary restriction on depth.

Any thoughts?

jack russell

« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 20:45 »
Hi and welcome

remove as many roots as possible i would not use anything to separate the layers just keep on weeding and you will get there in the end it will be hard at first but rewarding in the end

there isn't a miracle out there that can help or an easy fix IMO.

do it right first time :wink:
http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/CIMG1386.jpg[/img]http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q230/jack-russell_2007/roostertop-1.jpg[/img]

not organic    but still a nice bloke

eco-friendly

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 09:26 »
keep pulling weeds up as you see them they will eventually give up. i dont think covering the whole plot with plastic is a good idea as you said it would become waterlogged.
for thousands of years men and women managed to grow fruit and veg for thier families without petrol strimmers,rotovaters,plastic sheets,cars or round-up.

Dominic

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008, 14:59 »
In my planting areas, I'm digging down about a foot, completely removing everything bulding raised walls, and then filling with clear soil and new stuff.

If any roots are lower than that, and there have been a few, (I went down almost two feet for one and then gave up, it was still an inch thick, I put on a rock on top and gave up) I'm just hoping they wont be able to grow through a foot and a half of soil without getting any sunlight.

If they do, I'll just lop the heads off till they give up.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

compostqueen

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008, 09:17 »
black plastic sheet mulch is permeable

I'd put double thickness layer of cardboard under the raised beds. You can get this from business parks or your local leccy shop

xx
Mantis - User review.

Started by bikerjohn on Equipment Shed

4 Replies
Last post July 27, 2007, 04:38
by bikerjohn
xx
Templar tiller 400 rotovator user manual required please.

Started by Dragontest on Equipment Shed

0 Replies
Last post April 20, 2010, 22:17
by Dragontest
xx
Newbie needing advice on the best compost to fill raised bed

Started by pavery026 on Equipment Shed

3 Replies
Last post April 13, 2013, 11:58
by pavery026
xx
raised beds

Started by Gwiz on Equipment Shed

22 Replies
Last post November 12, 2006, 21:03
by John

Page created in 0.211 seconds with 29 queries.