New crops 2017 - thumbs up or thumbs down?

• 11 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
New crops 2017 - thumbs up or thumbs down?
« on: October 04, 2017, 11:12 »
What did you try this year and was it a success?

For me :

Thumbs up - new spuds Kifli and Sarpo Axona - great crops and really easy going to grow

Thumbs down - Queensland Blue squash - all the other squashes fruited.  This has grown huge and has one fruit on it that is not that large and is never going to ripen now  :(

Not sure - Malabar spinach - tastes fine, but yield has been low.  I only had 3 plants climbing up a cane wigwam as I was expecting triffid like growth.  Perhaps the summer didn't suit them.  They are said to be totally bolt resistant in hot weather, but I had no problems with other greens.  If they had all bolted, would I now be raving about this  :unsure:

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
Re: New crops 2017 - thumbs up or thumbs down?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 11:41 »
Jazzy potato was my big hit, I'll definitely be growing those next year.   Brilliant cropper/cooker keeper.  The first year of Autumn Bliss rasp was pretty successful also. Mirai Picnic sweet corn proved to be a disaster to germinate so back to Swift/lark in future. 

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 13:50 »
Thumbs up for Radicchio Palla Rossa, learned to love the bitter flavour and will definitely grow again.

Thumbs down for Tromboncino squash. Very prolific and provided loads of lotty laughs re the shape but just not enough taste to repeat.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 17:32 »
Thumbs up for Kondor potatoes ... huge and excellent roasters
                      North Georgia Candy Roaster Squashes: two huge fruits per plant that are like sweet potato
                      Hangijia1 chillies: absolutely enormous and more like a sweet pepper with a  slight bite, but lovely
                      in salads and salsas as well as
                      Serrano Chillies: vast crop of brilliant scarlet very hot fruits which are nice and fleshy

Thumbs down (Like New Shoot... interesting!) for Queensland Blue Squash which made a bid for total
                      plot dominance but has only just started producing female flowers

Too soon to tell: Yacon. Plenty of leaves, I can feel a tuber or two from a furtle but no idea how many or
                         what they taste like

Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Auntiemogs

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 20:33 »
Not sure - Malabar spinach - tastes fine, but yield has been low.  I only had 3 plants climbing up a cane wigwam as I was expecting triffid like growth.  Perhaps the summer didn't suit them.  They are said to be totally bolt resistant in hot weather, but I had no problems with other greens.  If they had all bolted, would I now be raving about this  :unsure:
Thank you so much New Shoot - I had no idea such a thing existed!  I shall add it to my list for next year.  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 09:36 »
Thank you so much New Shoot - I had no idea such a thing existed!  I shall add it to my list for next year.  :)

It has a really thick fleshy leaf so goes slimy if overcooked.  Most places you can buy the seeds warn about this.   I tested it with a few leaves and they are right - bleughhhhh !

Its good raw as a salad leaf and has an almost citrus tang.  I did eat quite a lot straight off the vines while I was working around it.  Perhaps why I thought it wasn't prolific  :blush:  It made great pakoras and was good added to curries at the very end of cooking.

Just checked my stocks and I have a fair few seeds left.  If you want a few to try, pm me moggsie and I'll send some your way  :)

spadework

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 10:40 »
New this year:

Wonderberries - Excellent. Easy to grow, suppresses weeds and bees like them. The berries take a while to ripen but there are loads when they do. Still cropping now and even a few packs a lot of flavour when cooked. Fiddly to pick though.

Blight resistant outdoor tomatoes. Crimson Crush and Mountain Magic. The first true success with outdoor toms.  Will add Lizzano, a cherry/basket kind to the mix next year.

Squash, Flat White Boer. Hugely productive and good looking fruits. Haven't tried one yet but if they taste as good as they look I shall be happy.

Failure. Gigantes butter/runner bean. no germination direct sown possibly down to late frost/low soil temps. Retry next year.
 :)

AnneB

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 11:50 »
Thumbs up: Hutterite Soup dwarf french bean - very productive, makes lovely soup
                  Aurora outdoor bush tomato - bushes absolutely laden
                  Bulgarian giant leek - they are large!
                  Rosakrone peas - beautiful to look at and tasty too

Thumbs down:  Dragon's Tongue dwarf French bean - yield very poor
                       Kokigu squash - took ages to produce male flowers.  I have 3 undersized immature squash
                       Double Red sweetcorn - grew beautifully with lots of cobs, but pollination awful despite planting in a block as usual.  Back to Lark next year!

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09 »
Thumbs up - 'Cherokee Trail of Tears'' black beans! Absolutely fabulous as green French Beans and now dried for winter - Thanks KC! Also Greek Gigantes - Thanks again KC! Two 'Home grown/seed' Crimson Crush are still belting away on The Patch, the rest of shop seed ones have all died from blight! For once, 'Pentland Javelin', they had their last chance this year and just romped away with hardly any foliage, so that I thought they'd all just gone South like they've done before!

Thumbs down - Iznik cuces - pathetic - germinated then died (like they're supposed to).; Melon 'Alvaro', ditto, 'Passandra' cuces, two plants...'Gardener's Delight' and 'Country Taste' toms - just about OK, so not next year

Auntiemogs

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 15:46 »
It has a really thick fleshy leaf so goes slimy if overcooked.  Most places you can buy the seeds warn about this.   I tested it with a few leaves and they are right - bleughhhhh !
Its good raw as a salad leaf and has an almost citrus tang.  I did eat quite a lot straight off the vines while I was working around it.  Perhaps why I thought it wasn't prolific  :blush:  It made great pakoras and was good added to curries at the very end of cooking.
Just checked my stocks and I have a fair few seeds left.  If you want a few to try, pm me moggsie and I'll send some your way  :)
That's really kind of you Shoot, but I decided to order some while I was online.  ::)

I tend to just wilt spinach with a bit of butter and black pepper - do you think it would survive?  I suspect that most of it will go like yours did - I do love to graze my way around the garden.  :tongue2:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 08:45 »
It is a fleshy leaf like Miner's Purslane, so less is more with the cooking  ;)  Should be fine just wilted.

I remembered another couple of thumbs up crops  :)

Lipstick sweet peppers - loads of fruit, lovely pepper flavour and compact enough to grow on the greenhouse benches

Kaberi aubergines - again very compact, hugely productive and even though the fruits are small, you get so many it makes up for this  :D

ptarmigan

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 09:49 »
Queensland Blue Squash - I grew that two years on the trot and was brilliant.  This year did nothing at all.  Just saying don't give up if this was your first go.

xx
First ever crops

Started by snow white on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 16, 2013, 08:11
by New shoot
xx
sbk and crops

Started by victoria_plum on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 09:42
by victoria_plum
xx
what crops can i sow now?

Started by deedee71 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 28, 2007, 14:45
by Aidy
xx
What do my Crops Indicate

Started by trunk monkey on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post June 15, 2013, 11:05
by trunk monkey

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 37 queries.