White clover

• 6 Replies

Pitufo

White clover
« on: July 07, 2017, 23:32 »
Please can anyone help? I sowed white clover seeds on 22nd June. It is only now in the early stages of germination (or at least something is) and is not doing a great deal more. Does anyone know whether this could be within the normal range of germination time? I have watered the soil regularly though during the warmer weather the surface has got rather dry. Thank you.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: White clover
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2017, 09:00 »
Clover seed usually germination in around two weeks, but the weather has been very dry so yours may take a little longer.

I hope you don't mind me saying that sowing in the Autumn or the Spring would give more chance of good results. I am assuming this clover is being used as a green manure?
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Pitufo

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2017, 10:16 »
Thank you so much for this helpful reply. My "new" allotment had not been cultivated for at least four years and was like a Peruvian jungle. I was able to start working on it on the 15th June after the strimming chaps had cut down all the weeds and my dream (or nightmare) is to get as many raised beds as possible ready for next year. The first solution to weed suppression after digging and weeding is to cover with landscaping fabric but that is so sterile I want also to establish green manure. I sowed three bed with white clover. Your advice about sowing in Spring or Autumn makes me think I should perhaps give up wasting water trying to keep them damp and just cover them with landscaping fabric and resow in Autumn. As it is I am now spending too much time hand weeding these plots when I should be digging. Your reply makes me feel so much better. Thanks for the reassurance.

Gellideg

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2017, 18:19 »
I hope this helps-I am a retired farmer,used to improving old pastures/and soil fertility at the same time.I soon learnt that soil testing is in theory a good help,but in practise whatever the soil test suggested,then come what may,we applied 2 tonnes/acre of lime( divide 2000k by 4840 yards to get the rate per sq yard),and that hugely improved germination.Also,make sure the seedbed is well rolled after covering the seed ,perhaps with a leaf rake,by foot treading the whole plot area.Clover can be slow,but I am not a fan of spring seeding but Autumn seeding is the farmers preferred way,say late August.More moisture and good soil temperature.Clover is a good fertility builder,perhaps try again if it will fit in later on.Enjoy your plot,hard work is satisfying in the end-it is a better achievement,or so I say!!  John

Pitufo

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2017, 11:42 »
Thank you John for your advice both with liming and seeding. Judging by the enthusiasm with which clover grows in the garden grass I thought it would be deliriously happy being given plots all to itself. I have decided to resow in in Autumn and will follow your instructions. I agree hard work is so rewarding especially hard physical work for both mental and physical health. Enjoy your allotment too.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2017, 12:33 »
Just a note to add: if you are covering beds, then do make sure the soil is good and damp first. I cover any empty ones over winter with black plastic which keeps extra rainwater off, warm the soil a bit in spring and any weed seedlings that germinate do not thrive! It also stops new ones arriving of course

Pitufo

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 11:16 »
Thank you again Sunshine. I've been using the Wilco woven material because it seems easier to find than black plastic sheeting but it seems to be pretty good at keeping the rain off the soil. I really am impressed with the way the seeds are suppressed. When I first moved onto the plot I covered some of the areas that I knew would have to wait to be dug and when I started on one of them yesterday it really did make digging easier. I wish there was a black plastic solution to brambles gift wrapped in bindweed.

xx
Clover

Started by Jim the builder on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post June 12, 2012, 10:20
by simonwatson
xx
Clover paths?

Started by davejg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2012, 01:49
by Kirpi
xx
Red Clover as a green manure

Started by arh on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post February 24, 2017, 13:05
by al78
xx
Clover Compost - Bishops Stortford

Started by wil4025 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post April 21, 2013, 11:23
by wil4025

Page created in 0.422 seconds with 27 queries.