Where are all the pests this year?

• 10 Replies

lettice

« on: July 05, 2017, 10:16 »
Not sure it was that long dry spell we had but the slug and snail population has been dwindled to a handful over the plot for the last three months.
Have put pellets down as usual, but found no trails and the assorted traps all over the plot have been empty.
My neighbours have been saying the same.
Also, although I only get a small attack of blackfly on my broad beans each year, that I cure early with a water spray or soap and water mixture. This year have seen none.
My Dad, eight miles up the road always gets quite a few attacks of blackfly on his broad and runner beans over the growing season and he has very little. He also has seen almost no slugs and snails so far.
Spoke with a few friends form local allotments and they all said they have seen liitle snail/slugs so far and no blackfly at all.
One other thing that we have all noticed is a lack of cabbage white, it really has been a rare occurrence to see them flying around, when they are usually at the start of their peak this time of year.

The only worry re the slugs, is I will have a very poor mixture for my yearly nematode solution that I always put on the potato crop. Do hope there is not a big invasion next year.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 10:18 by lettice »

Lardman

Re: Where are all the pests this year?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 11:16 »

.. in my veg garden.  :mad:

theothermarg

• me
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 11:42 »

.. in my veg garden.  :mad:
Yes the same here !! The Broccoli is reduced to a few stalks every time it rains, I am thinking of pulling the whole lot up out of embarrassment  :blush: at least the Kale seems to have recovered Oops better knock on wood here
marg 
Tell me and I,ll forget,Show me and I might
remember,Involve me and I,ll understand

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 15:24 »
We have plenty of blackfly if you are short, and a few spare slugs.

robinahood

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 16:55 »
I have plenty of blackfly due to the masses of ants around!

ACatCalledElvis

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 17:00 »
I have blackfly - and thankfully ladybirds - I also have slugs/snails and greenfly - but the slugs have only eaten my PSB so far - they will recover (playing the long game). But yes - its not as bad as usual.......
Be Reasonable Demand the Impossible

Organic as much as my plot neighbours allow

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2017, 17:02 »
There seem to be fewer slimies on the plot, but just as many in the garden, which is shadier.

Plenty of aphids/ants/cabbage whltes everywhere  :(

victoria park

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2017, 20:10 »
It's a case of fine tuning every year. Cabbage whites were a little late but not much. Slugs a little down on last year and not nearly as many of the monsters. Happily I didn't see any of the diamond back moths up from France that took an unheralded right swipe at my my brassicas early on last year.
In the end, there's no substitute for regular visits and nipping any problems in the bud and changing tack if necessary. In the early growing season, you can't leave things for a week.
Without a doubt, my best ally is enviromesh, for all crops in the early stages against all pests. Presently deployed over my third crop of peas against pea moth. But I don't want to net everything in sight, so it all becomes a compromise and a bit of give and take.
Yet to do battle with the badgers that will be making tracks soon. If I'm too tardy, they'll have my corn.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 20:16 by victoria park »

Blewit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2017, 08:24 »
Cabbage White's are down here but it's not surprising after a mild winter. Apparently due to lack of cold predators are more active and feed on the pupae.

AnneB

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2017, 23:03 »
I have slugs a plenty, mealy bugs on my brassicas and whitefly in the greenhouse.  Something is eating my globe artichoke leaves, as yet unidentifiable.

viettaclark

« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2017, 23:51 »
I too have noticed a distinct lack of cabbage whites but saw 3 today so maybe that's a sign of a coming plague! Very little greenfly/blackfly and although my cabbages have been noshed by slugs in one raised bed, it's got chickenwire round it which means the hedgehog/s can't get in. Yes! I'm so lucky! I've got some of the spiny things living under the bags of manure on pallets.The rest of the garden has very little slug/snail damage so the hoglets are doing a fine job......unless it's just the heat and I'll get a plague of slimy things if it rains.....
Who knows. I'll just keep on doing the organic thing as much as poss and let it all balance out......

xx
What pests and disease have you had this year?

Started by Fisherman on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 20, 2010, 20:32
by totalnovice
xx
Worst year for pests and disease ever ?

Started by vegmandan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 01:47
by gobs
xx
Pests

Started by Plot74 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 15:14
by Yorkie
xx
Pests, what to do.

Started by Paul(c) on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2008, 16:12
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 38 queries.