New allotment pictures

• 6 Replies

paramac52

New allotment pictures
« on: May 29, 2017, 17:39 »
Here is the allotment I've been allocated so far I can see I have some fruit bushes which are in the cage at the bottom of the picture. I also uncovered some 24 pots with strawberry plants in a grape vine and a large compost area. The beds are dilapidated but I can replace them in due course. So far I have cleard out four beds the cages were taken off by previous occupant and trampled down all the rhubarb so I've had to chop it all off.
What do think any ideas on how to improve the site with some different ideas
IMG_3022.JPG
IMG_3024.JPG
IMG_3026.JPG
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 17:48 by paramac52 »

mikem

• Experienced Member
Re: New allotment pictures
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2017, 19:41 »
Is that Mares Tail I can see, if so then a lot of digging looks like the best way forward to try and reduce the infestation before anything else.  When you get it up straight, take your time, it looks like a very good site.  The chairs will enable you to invite friends/family down for a drink - after they have helped clear the site!

paramac52

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2017, 20:03 »
Yes that is mares tail at the bottom of the picture it hasn't taken hold of the whole site yet so I got to nip it in the bud so to speak

Christine

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2017, 20:01 »
Methinks that you are right to clear bed by bed and path by path. It will take time but you will find out what you really have (besides mares tail) and it's possible that you will find other goodies (or baddies as the case may be).

Hard to decide how to improve till you have done a full tour of inspection with a digging implement. But you look as if you have the start of a compost heap (not with the mares tail of course).

You don't say whether the fruit bushes look young, old, over grown or could have been cared for. So long as you will eat the produce of the them it's worth giving them a feed and a mulch to keep them going till pruning time. If they are in a place that doesn't suit you in the future then you could possibly take strikes and grow these on. Then you can plant where you want and have new bushes. Sometimes it's not worth pursing moving older items.

You can still get a few things planted for this year which will give you an idea of what the soil is like (productive, cared for, knackered, sandy, clay ...) and will give you a chance to work on improving it as required.

paramac52

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 17:58 »
Hi Christine I have been and had a good look over the site and have found an Apple tree a pear tree another sixteen beds with weed control fabric on them they are over on the right side by the oak tree ? What will grow over that side of the allotment any ideas also any idea what this fruit bush is? Please .
The soil look fab it's dark rich crumbly stuff.
IMG_3035.JPG

spadework

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 18:16 »
I would guess that is a jostaberry. The fruit starts out looking like gooseberries and ends up like large blackcurrants.

They are fully ripe at the end of july or first week of august. I like them but they don't have a strong blackcurrant flavour.:nowink:

paramac52

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 19:22 »
Cheers time will tell I suppose it will be good to find out

xx
My no dig allotment with pictures

Started by NASH on Grow Your Own

56 Replies
Last post November 29, 2009, 13:04
by NASH
xx
New allotment pictures

Started by Chappers on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post January 29, 2009, 16:13
by peapod
xx
I would like to show you some pictures of my new allotment, but ...

Started by Kimberley04 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 23, 2009, 18:28
by Kimberley04
xx
Yes ! Yes ! Yes ! .... Got an allotment today (New pictures added)

Started by wbmkk on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 19, 2013, 06:55
by cadalot

Page created in 0.447 seconds with 28 queries.