Cucumbers doing what they do best...

• 23 Replies

Growster...

Cucumbers doing what they do best...
« on: April 16, 2017, 07:38 »
Germinating, then dying a day later...

:0(

m1ckz

Re: Cucumbers doing what they do best...
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2017, 07:43 »
lol   had mine a week now

Lardman

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2017, 08:12 »
Mine haven't even made it out of the compost this year.  ::)  At least they're consistent .

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2017, 08:17 »
Mine haven't even made it out of the compost this year.  ::)

Mine haven't even made it out of the packet  ::)

:lol: :lol:

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2017, 09:06 »
My greenhouse cukes used to do fine up to a few weeks after planting out, then gradually bleach and die - tried all sorts of remedies like additional shading and trying to increase the humidity without success.

Have done much better in the last few years by feeding much more, and much earlier, that I would expect to have to with other crops.

Don't take that as gospel though - cukes don't 'do' sulking, if they feel like dying they will!

Still safely in packet at the moment (unless the seeds have self-combusted! :unsure: :lol:)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

lettice

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2017, 09:09 »
Never have any problems germinating cucumber, always quick, say 7 days or so to germinate.
This is my Burpless today, sowed on Apr3, all 21 seeds from the packet.
Also have sowed three seed of the 'Seed parcel' marketmore April 3rd and they are all up now. That was a test as the seeds did say sow by 2016. Will be sowing the rest of those outside this weekend in large pots away from my trusty Burpless.

The important thing with Cucumbers is watering.
Always water at soil level and mist the leaf area.
Do not water too much when cucumbers first start growing as the plants become weak, but when established water more but be careful not to flood the soil.
2017-04-16 08.51.30 (600 x 600).jpg
cucumber marketmore (434 x 546).jpg
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 09:54 by lettice »

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2017, 10:35 »
Ha ha ha, love the replies!

I've sown another packet of F1s, and if they go south, it'll be some old Telegraph from 2015!

The Law of Esszerodee will therefore provide us with enough plants to cover most of Kent - may even reach you Mum!

You have to stay positive in this game don't you!

Mum2mj

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2017, 12:20 »
"Do not water too much when cucumbers first start growing as the plants become weak, but when established water more but be careful not to flood the soil."

Maybe this is what I do right in the sense that I am sporadic in my watering  :unsure: never had (touch wood) any problems with cucumbers

gobs

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2017, 12:21 »
Lol.

Lettice, are you growing for sale?
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

Growster...

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2017, 16:50 »
Interesting, Gobs, as we've just come back from a large lunch with Daughts, and as a pay-back, we're going to plan to grow much more for them to have a box of stuff every time we see them in the growing season!

I now have to plan for more cuses, toms, melons, etc and also leeks for the winter and more onions and loads of other stuff...

That's what allotments and gardens are for after all!

And I'll follow Lettice's advice re watering too, so that means cucumbers across the South East and maybe even further...

snowdrops

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2017, 16:53 »
Interesting, Gobs, as we've just come back from a large lunch with Daughts, and as a pay-back, we're going to plan to grow much more for them to have a box of stuff every time we see them in the growing season!

I now have to plan for more cuses, toms, melons, etc and also leeks for the winter and more onions and loads of other stuff...

That's what allotments and gardens are for after all!

And I'll follow Lettice's advice re watering too, so that means cucumbers across the South East and maybe even further...

Not sure you got the best from that lunch Growster lol😊. Can you get your daughters or grandchildren interested in helping you grow more?
Our daughter sort of grows her own, but plants & seeds provided by me & often planted by me🙄 But I don't mind as at least she waters & looks after mostly after that, she has been busy since she got the house 2 years ago . As for son I struggle to get him to have any produce as they eat a lot of pre prepared meals it seems, although now they have baby Willow I'm hoping they see the sense in freshly dug veg from the plot, I can live in hope
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 16:57 by snowdrops »
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2017, 17:07 »
Snows, you've hit the proverbial on the bonce!

They've just had the house rebuilt, and the garden is a total mess, and they need some time to sit and stare for a while! The GDs are dying to plant stuff, but we have to clear the rubble first, and there's so little time left to get going, except maybe for a few toms, but even then, three little girls under eight take up more time than somewhat, as you probably know, and so it'll be a Grandpa and Grandma Box on tap each time...

As we can easily buy the Sauv Blanc, they can do the getting ready, and we all laugh almost continuously!

The Easter Egg hunt in the field behind was a hoot, and I just loved it all, especially as I hid most of them...;0)

Yorkshire Lass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2017, 19:10 »
I tried Marketmore for the first time last year with good results and not too many problems, I am doing the same again this year; they have only been in compost for the last two days.  So fingers crossed for success.

Salmo

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2017, 20:53 »
The old farmers used to say that sheep spend their time thinking of different ways to die. Seems this also applies to cucumbers.

gobs

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2017, 21:16 »

That might be wise of you. I never had this problem and am also a thrifty waterer.

-----

You still cannot possibly need a dozen, even if a sucker for cukes...

xx
cucumbers not producing any cucumbers

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 25, 2014, 09:37
by Springlands
xx
Cucumbers

Started by Derek on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 07, 2007, 01:03
by Dabhand
xx
cucumbers

Started by micmac on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 12:53
by muntjac
xx
Cucumbers

Started by mrswashi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 23, 2014, 22:03
by Springlands

Page created in 0.439 seconds with 30 queries.