Strawberries in grow bags

• 12 Replies

FN

Strawberries in grow bags
« on: January 22, 2017, 15:15 »
I've recently moved house to west Dorset. Brought about 30 strawberry runners with me. As were on the waiting list for N allotment and the veg plot in the garden is quite small, I don't really want to put them in the ground. Has anyone grown strawberries in grow bags with success? I've used the tiered planters and hanging baskets before but never grow bags. As the garden is terraced, they'd fit well on a small ledge and if I do get an allotment they'd be easier to transplant. Thoughts anyone?
Thanks!

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
Re: Strawberries in grow bags
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 15:32 »
Growbags work fine for the one who believes she is obeyed. A monster crop last year of Hapils grown in bags.
May the fork be with you

DIGGER

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2017, 20:50 »
Can't see any reason why not. I got fed up and backache a couple of years ago with maintaining the strawberry patch for what is a couple of weeks picking,which usually coincided with a holiday.
I took a load of runners and replanted them in containers which produced a healthy crop that was easy to maintain.
I have replanted in fresh compost this year and hope for a similar crop.

snowdrops

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 22:08 »
Pick your own farms are all in growbags, it would be getting the watering right that would be the problem
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

spadework

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 17:16 »
Don't know where in West Dorset you are but for your information there are allotment plots available in Broadwindsor. Contact the clerk of Broadwindsor parish council via Google for details.

Full and half plots available. Some ready to plant right away instead of the usual "overgrown with weeds" one usually gets when taking on an allotment. You could perhaps take one on while waiting to get to the top of the list depending on how feasible it is for you.

Very cheap rent too. No more than the price of a couple of grow bags.

As I say this is only for information. :)

FN

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 20:15 »
That's very interesting - I am in Beaminster so only a couple of miles away. I think I'll check on the length of the waiting list here and give Broadwindsor a go if it's more than one or two people.
Thanks again!

spadework

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 21:24 »
Great. Glad to be of help. :)

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 21:04 »
You'd need to make sure that they were watered so that they didn't dry out, and properly fed.  Growbag compost only contains enough nutrients for about 6 weeks, and dries out easily as others have said.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

jaydig

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2017, 09:55 »
Every time I've tried to grow strawberries in growbags or containers they have become infested with vine weevil grubs.  What am I doing wrong?

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2017, 19:30 »
Every time I've tried to grow strawberries in growbags or containers they have become infested with vine weevil grubs.  What am I doing wrong?

Where are the strawberries from, and where are they placed?

VWs lurve strawberries (as you've found)  >:( ::)

jaydig

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2017, 19:56 »

Where are the strawberries from, and where are they placed?

VWs lurve strawberries (as you've found)  >:( ::)

I tried growing some in a strawberry barrel using new runners, but had no luck.  I also tried them in grow bags placed along the top of a low wall - again no luck.  The only time I every had a crop was in the strawberry barrel, but a little wren decided to build her nest in one of the pocket, so I couldn't water the barrel until the little ones had fledged, so we lost most of the crop that year, too.
They grow fine in the ground on the allotment, but just thought my little granddaughter would like to be able to pick some when she comes to visit.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 21:31 »
Sounds as though they keep being reinfected.

I'd suggest new compost, new plants from e.g. a garden centre or somewhere off-site where you know there are no grubs, and ensure the container isn't in direct contact with the ground.

You can get those little nematodes that act against VWs, or Provado have a bug killer too, I think

jaydig

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 09:54 »
Sounds as though they keep being reinfected.

I'd suggest new compost, new plants from e.g. a garden centre or somewhere off-site where you know there are no grubs, and ensure the container isn't in direct contact with the ground.

You can get those little nematodes that act against VWs, or Provado have a bug killer too, I think

Thanks.  I haven't grown any like this for a few years, but will give it another go, and resort to nematodes if the little blighters invade again.

xx
beef toms in greenhouse. Grow bags v pots or pots in grow bags???

Started by Twood on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 07, 2020, 08:49
by mumofstig
xx
Grow bags

Started by chickpeacurry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2016, 21:51
by chickpeacurry
xx
grow bags... how many is too many?

Started by lesley1322 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 18, 2010, 20:21
by DD.
xx
Grow bags

Started by casper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2019, 17:11
by casper

Page created in 0.928 seconds with 36 queries.