Bay Trees.

• 18 Replies

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Bay Trees.
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2017, 19:38 »
£3 is pretty good.  Nice work Nige   :D 

I've been reshaping my standard bays today and giving them a tidy up.  Pruning bay trees is such a lovely fragrant job  :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2017, 12:26 »
Thought I'd show you just how much a bay tree will put up with - this is a recent picture of my 15 year old tree which over the years resisted all my attempts to keep it reasonably small and tidy.

It's only a few feet from my kitchen window so much as I didn't want to kill it, around late August last year I decided this was time to deploy a saw rather than the trusty secateurs!  :ohmy:

Despite the surgery being rather late in the year it's sprouting new shoots from what was left of the old ones, and many more from even the oldest parts of the trunk, which makes it almost as good at regeneration as privet in my book!  :)

(The shoots at the bottom aren't new plants, they arise from near the base of the trunk and I left them there as a source of leaves while the rest of it regrew, or in case it didn't!)

Think it will be quite a long job trying to get it into a nice tidy (and smaller  ::)) shape, but at least it's still alive!

Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2017, 12:35 »
That is a prune and a half  :lol:  Even more drastic than mine when we got the new fence put in, but it shows how tough bay is.  That should give Snow White the courage to lop her overgrown tree down :lol:

snow white

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2017, 08:12 »
Definately.  Can't wait to try now. :D

xx
Espallier apple trees and prunning normal Apple trees

Started by londongardener on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 20, 2019, 18:11
by londongardener
xx
leg trees?

Started by p00rstudent on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post July 15, 2008, 14:35
by p00rstudent
xx
Trees!

Started by eliop on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 17, 2020, 10:42
by Yorkie
cheesy
New Trees

Started by Lardman on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post December 09, 2016, 08:37
by Lardman

Page created in 0.308 seconds with 32 queries.