Too late for broad beans?

• 15 Replies

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
Too late for broad beans?
« on: November 10, 2016, 13:46 »
Hello. I sowed my broad beans - Aquadulce, to overwinter in October. I've given up waiting for them to appear and scratched around in the hope of finding something germinating but found nothing at all. I've had to accept that the voles/mice have had them.
Is it too late to put in more? Or shall I just have to wait for the Spring and try again? Thanks for any advice.

snowdrops

Re: Too late for broad beans?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 14:43 »
You could start some indoors. & plant out if it's mild when they have germinated if you harden them off
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 15:11 »
I've given up with overwintering them.  I just sow in early spring instead, and get a great crop wich I freeze and lasts me all year. 

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 17:01 »
Thank you for the replies. I've only a few seeds left so I'll stick them in a pot. But to get enough of a crop I'm going to have to sow in the Spring as well. Any recommendations for varieties?

Blackpool rocket

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 17:08 »
I'm with you Aunt Sally, I had a very poor crop (again) this year with at least 1/3rd of the plants not surviving the relatively mild winter. They were Aquadulce.
The last time I planted in the Spring though, I was plagued with blackfly.

There must be a fairly narrow planting window.
Would starting off indoors end of February & planting out mid/end March sound about right?
I've got seed left over so I'll use what I've got.

Br.

jaydig

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 17:14 »
This year I wasn't going to bother with broad beans because I lost most of the crop to blackfly last year.  However....... I found half a packet of seed at the beginning of May, and I had a bit of space in one of the beds so I more or less just threw them in to take their chances.  They came up very quickly, had not one single blackfly, and produced a really good crop of beans.  They were Imperial Green Longpod.  It could be that I was very lucky with the weather, and also that, at that time of the year, the mice etc. had found better stuff to eat, but I shall do the same again next year.

oldgrunge

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 18:02 »
I'm with Aunt Sally on this. Gave up autumn sowing a few years ago as the spring showings always caught up, and were generally better plants. Start them off in loo rolls in greenhouse. My favourite is Bunyard's Exhibition, though next year I 'm trying Imperial Green Longpod.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

fatbelly

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 07:26 »
I've given up trying to overwinter BB's because of my lack of success getting the plants through the winter.
I just sow around March and by July have a great crop. My greatest success has been with Imperial Green Longpod.
As regards Blackfly pinching out the growing tops deffo helps and I also carry any ladybirds I find and deposit on the Plant
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 07:28 by fatbelly »
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

ARPoet

• Experienced Member
  • I love growing and eating beans
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 08:24 »
Planting climbing nasturtiums close to beans seems to attract the black fly to them and away from the beans.
Roger.

Its Grand Being Daft

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2016, 18:35 »
I normally sow in October with Aquadulce, but plants more than 4" high were hammered by January and February winds last year.They did recover eventually however, and cropped well.

Strategy this year is Aquadulce sown direct late November, aiming for very short stocky plants in mid-January.

The mice problem suggests raising in trays, modules or pots and then planting out.

AnneB

« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2016, 20:38 »
The only crop I have had success with, for two years now, is with Wizard field beans.  They seem to overwinter with no problems.  I sow them first week in November, they emerge about 3 weeks later and overwinter with no problems. 

They are meant as a green manure, but I love them as a proper crop.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 10:17 »
The only crop I have had success with, for two years now, is with Wizard field beans.  They seem to overwinter with no problems.  I sow them first week in November, they emerge about 3 weeks later and overwinter with no problems. 

They are meant as a green manure, but I love them as a proper crop.

I agree. New Shoot put me on to them and they are really successful. Last year I sowed some in modules at home in January (in the kitchen) and as soon as they were up they went in the cold frame at the plot (Mice eat them if I direct sow) and then into the ground as soon as they had a couple of pairs of proper leaves. No issues with black fly either, which was fortunate. I usually rub off any I see tbh
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Liverpool Brick

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2016, 10:49 »
Please!! Don't give up on autumn beans!!
Every year I autumn sow a variety called Witkiem Manita and have good success with early beans (and receive congratulations from my fellow allotters).
I sow them indoors in pots until they are about 3" high then put outside to harden off before planting on the plot under a cloche in a raised bed. They are hardening off now and I'll plant out next week. Its not too late for this year!!
Over watering when in pots can rot them. Good luck,
Andy
PS on GQT on R4 only yesterday it was recommended to autumn sow beans now and they should know :)

Plant it and it will grow.

Deborah1

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2016, 20:35 »
Thanks for all the replies. I wanted to update to say that this morning I found three seedlings emerged after all  ::) I don't know if that's the total or just the beginning! However,  I will be investing in some Imperial Longpod seeds and doing a spring sowing. I also stuck my last seeds in pots yesterday. I think you can never have enough broad beans!

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2016, 22:45 »
Have just looked in my 2015 diary for when I planted my Sutton broad beans -  25th November.  Guess what we're serving up on 25th of next month?  Froze some down especially.

This years were sown on the 18th October.  Have grown Aquadulce previously but changed to Sutton as they are a smaller plant and require less support , not sure I would be able to tell the difference on the plate.

Liverpool Brick , How long do they take to grow to the size you mention?
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
Am I too late for broad beans?

Started by piskieinboots on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 06, 2007, 07:29
by piskieinboots
xx
Am I too late for broad beans??

Started by ally on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 12:51
by Growing4mykids
xx
How late can I sow broad beans?

Started by Annie on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 02, 2007, 09:39
by Annie

Page created in 0.48 seconds with 28 queries.