Lost most of my tomatoes.

• 23 Replies

Headgardener22

Re: Lost most of my tomatoes.
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2016, 12:07 »
I noticed last year that some people said they were going to try growing from self saved Crimson Crush seeds. (I know they're F1 and so wouldn't necessarily run true). My understanding is that something like 1 in 100 might inherit both parents genes (I can't remember where I saw that but it was in some discussion somewhere).

a. Has anybody who tried them had any success?
b. Does anybody know what the chances are of an F1 hybrid inheriting both parents genes?

(I'm wondering about saving some seed - Crimson Crush or Mountain Magic and growing lots of plants next year to see if any survive - I'm going to have a spare 6m x 2m bed - or at least I haven't decided what to grow - so I thought I might plant a load and see what happens).

AnneB

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2016, 13:25 »
Too many courgettes, runner and French beans here, but I give to others what we can't use ourselves.  Slightly too much beetroot.  Broad beans now finished, but stacks of them.
Garlic affected by rust, so smaller crop than useful. 
Soft fruit a bit disappointing.  Rhubarb everywhere.
Cucumbers disappointing.
Aubergines disappointing, but then they always are.
Tomatoes average for me.

Growster...

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2016, 15:00 »
I noticed last year that some people said they were going to try growing from self saved Crimson Crush seeds. (I know they're F1 and so wouldn't necessarily run true). My understanding is that something like 1 in 100 might inherit both parents genes (I can't remember where I saw that but it was in some discussion somewhere).

a. Has anybody who tried them had any success?
b. Does anybody know what the chances are of an F1 hybrid inheriting both parents genes?

(I'm wondering about saving some seed - Crimson Crush or Mountain Magic and growing lots of plants next year to see if any survive - I'm going to have a spare 6m x 2m bed - or at least I haven't decided what to grow - so I thought I might plant a load and see what happens).

There's some info on this post, HG.

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=124053.msg1459303#msg1459303

I'm definitely saving some seed from the two clear plants for next year, and have given some to a chum as he always grows a huge crop - until this year!

It's not in any way scientific, but the proof is there for this year at any rate!

Aled

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2016, 09:35 »
Yep lost most of mine to! Most of mine died as soon as the flower began to change into a fruit. Plan to grow less next year, and use the soluble asprin spray.
Cheers
Aled

On the other hand, Aled, you may find next year that you have room for many more plants, and 10% of several is much better than 10% of a few...

Rotten luck on blight this year, it's been a 'burglar'!

(Burglar, gets in just when you don't want it to)!

Cheers Growster, noy I've grown the most plants ever this year as I had a far bigger plastic house.....and I've had far fewer tomato's! Anyway hope for the best for the few I have on the vine now, and then clear it all away until next spring!
Cheers
Aled

Headgardener22

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2016, 14:03 »
Growster: Thanks, I followed the link and at least somebody seems to have had some success so I'll try myself.

One thing I noticed reading Suttons page about Crimson Crush is that it seems to be able to grow back from up to 20% infection from blight. Can't say I know what 20% infection means but it obviously seems worth trying to grow from tomatoes on the least affected plants.

lettice

« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2016, 15:04 »
Must admit my tomato crop has been a very productive one this year. But they always grow well in my plot every year.
My Marmande and San Marzano have all ripened a few weeks earlier than normal and I have had a increase in the size of the toms of both those varieties this year. Might be the longer hot summer this year. I grow them all outside.
Garden Pearl in hanging baskets and pots all around the garden and plot all producing tons of toms.
Gardeners Delight, Golden Sunrise, Red Cherry and Tigrella in the Greenhouse and outside have produced great crops.
Grew some new varieties this year, Nectar Rose and Sweet&Neat Red/Yellow and they are cropping well.
Not ever suffered from Blight. My tomatoes normally just die naturally from early to mid October every year.
I save seeds every year and sow some from new packets too.
All outside toms are grown in 12 and 15 litre pots and a few potato bags. Always grow two toms in each pot/bag.
In the greenhouse they are in a 45" x 13" raised bed on one of the shorter sides of a 6x4 greenhouse. The opposite side grows cucumbers.
For the outside toms I water regularly late evening every day unless it rains and we have had very little of that this year.
I water the greenhouse raised bed every other day but mist the floor and the greenhouse glass every evening.
The greenhouse toms are sown about two weeks earlier and start dyeing naturally just before the end of September.
I also remove all the lower leaves, many that turn yellow just before any fruit start setting.
Use B&Q verve and use alternate weekly homemade feeds of seaweed and nettles.
I compost all the dead plants every year and use that compost in the spring all around the garden.

Growster...

« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2016, 20:05 »
Interesting, Lettice!

I think I read that James Wong is a fan of salt air or solution for toms - by all means check this, and if you're on the South coast, then you have the benefit of SW winds and salt air with it!

Just a thought, anyway!

And well done you for such a great crop too ;0)

lettice

« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2016, 22:52 »
Five to ten minutes walk depending on the direction to any beach, coastal area, marina or the dockyard from my garden plot.
When seaweed is in abundance on your doorstep, might as well use it.

Growster...

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 19:53 »
Five to ten minutes walk depending on the direction to any beach, coastal area, marina or the dockyard from my garden plot.
When seaweed is in abundance on your doorstep, might as well use it.

Lucky you, with lots of seaweed!

Here, in the sticks, it's a memory from holidays!

;0)

xx
Lost almost everything :(

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 22:51
by seaside
xx
lost veg

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 22:52
by solway cropper
xx
Lost the thread...

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 19, 2009, 22:27
by mumofstig
xx
Has anyone lost a Ferret?

Started by Silkworm on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 20:27
by 8doubles

Page created in 0.418 seconds with 31 queries.