Lost most of my tomatoes.

• 23 Replies

Kathogur

Lost most of my tomatoes.
« on: September 03, 2016, 18:29 »
Flaming blight.   Was s showing a little damage and then I went away for five nights, neighbours watered etc: for me.  All gone with the exception of two. Gutted,,,

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Lost most of my tomatoes.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 19:12 »
Bad luck  :(

snow white

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 14:04 »
Were they outside or in?

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 20:15 »
Lost 90% of mine too.  16 plants outside. Only partial survivors were Shirley variety.

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 22:15 »
I planted my tomato seeds on Father's Day and they are doing quite well, planted them outside and in the greenhouse.

Cheers,  Tony. :)
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

juvenal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 21:30 »
I've got a bucketful of blighted rotting tomatoes.

Do they 'carry' the infection?

What's the best way to dispose of them? Bury? Compost? Burn?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2016, 08:15 »
I don't knowingly put any blighted material in my compost bin - it goes in the general waste bin, which in Sheffield probably means it finishes up being burnt anyway. If I still had a council bin for green waste I'd use that as they can compost at much higher temperatures than I can achieve at home.

'Officially' blight only normally overwinters on live plant material, which probably rules out your bucketful of rotting blighted tomatoes, but I just don't think it's worth the risk. Same applies to what's left of the tomato vines of course.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Kathogur

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 20:16 »
You know what?  I feel better knowing  am not the only one.  I have lost ones in the greenhouse (plastic)   and in the garden.  Only ones to survive are in pots near the house and I think they are alicante.  Unwins sent me some so called alicante and I know they was sweet million or another heavy small cherry, they have all been lost.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2016, 20:30 »
Rotten, blasted luck, Kath.

It's been 48 hours down here as well, and chatting to a chum, his went just as quickly.

You can - just - fight it early on, and I wish I was clever enough to explain how, but it all means watching the blighters every hour or so, and taking steps to say 'I think they look odd', and do something like spray with aspirin.

But that's no help to you now, and my heart goes out to you and your lost crops; we've all been there, but I want to try and make it worth the job of at least getting chums here, some toms to ripen at some stage.

Bordeaux mixture is now unavailable, so we could all gang together and work out ways to help each other to limit the blight. Aspirin is an old willow based preventative. I'd like to see a few more of us trying it next year.

I don't think it cuts over the requirements for this excellent website to consider if some some preventatives are 'illegal'.

(Are they actually 'illegal', like other nasty drugs on the streets)?

Or just  - er - 'banned'?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2016, 08:16 »
If they haven't been cleared by the EU as ok to use (ie have not been tested, or have failed the tests and been banned) then they are technically illegal.

Of course it's up to you what you decide to actually use, but here, we tell you what the situation is.

Kathogur

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 13:10 »
I am going to try asprin next year, I cant give up on my tommies they taste so much nicer than shop one, cukes have been great x

Growster...

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2016, 16:58 »
If they haven't been cleared by the EU as ok to use (ie have not been tested, or have failed the tests and been banned) then they are technically illegal.

Of course it's up to you what you decide to actually use, but here, we tell you what the situation is.

Probably the most diplomatic statement I've ever read, Mums!

Nice one..;0)

Headgardener22

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2016, 17:11 »
For the last couple of years, I've been trying the blight resistant F1 hybrids to see how resistant they are. This year its Crimson Crush and Mountain Magic. So far so good. But my Ailsa Craig have started to show blight.

I noticed that Suttons have a number of other "Crimson" varieties and , whikst F1 seeds are expensive and the fruit aren't the tastiest, they're better than no tomatoes at all.

Aled

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 09:46 »
Yep lost most of mine to! Most of mine died as soon as the flower began to change into a fruit. Plan to grow less next year, and use the soluble asprin spray.
Cheers
Aled

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2016, 19:11 »
Yep lost most of mine to! Most of mine died as soon as the flower began to change into a fruit. Plan to grow less next year, and use the soluble asprin spray.
Cheers
Aled

On the other hand, Aled, you may find next year that you have room for many more plants, and 10% of several is much better than 10% of a few...

Rotten luck on blight this year, it's been a 'burglar'!

(Burglar, gets in just when you don't want it to)!

xx
Lost almost everything :(

Started by RJR_38 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post May 11, 2013, 22:51
by seaside
xx
lost veg

Started by big green bloke on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 09, 2011, 22:52
by solway cropper
xx
onions gone bad anyone else lost theres

Started by philskin on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post January 03, 2009, 14:21
by alfman
xx
Lost in the Jargon

Started by webwahm on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 18:23
by JayG

Page created in 0.405 seconds with 38 queries.