Covered allotment

• 8 Replies

spike island

Covered allotment
« on: August 30, 2016, 15:35 »
Hi everyone, The wife and I both new to gardening, so any help would be appreciated, but to get started our plot has been covered with carpet to reduce the weeds, and it seems to have worked, but what if any fertiliser or manure might be needed to spread or dig in?
We also have a lovely apple tree on our allotment but it is smothered with Ivy, any suggestions on how to get rid of the Ivy ?? Many Thanks.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Covered allotment
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 18:24 »
Hello and welcome to the forum  :)

I'll move this over to grow your own, where more people will read it.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 07:41 »
Our rules say that carpet is not allowed. Mainly because weeds grow through it eventually and it can be a pain to clear away. One of our plot holders was digging out lengths of "string" and fibres from rotted down carpet for at least three years after he first dug over his plot.

At this time of the year with weed growth hopefully beginning to slow down, digging in compost and/or manure will improve the soil and reduce the need for fertilisers next season. Yes you should do it as if the allotment has been covered this means that no work on the soil has been done so it won't be in the best state. It will need digging over once the carpet has gone to let the winter weather deal with any pests in the soil (slug and snail eggs are the first that come to mind) you should get started and work gently from now on.

You may find that there is ivy in the area of the fruit tree and you need to move all the runners to stop it spreading all round everywhere. You could try cutting the ivy very carefully ground level to stop it growing any more but I am no expert in renovating ivy covered trees.

ptarmigan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 09:54 »
I'd look at removing the carpet as soon as you can - once weeds start growing into it   it's an absolute pain to remove (personal experience of a small piece of carpet!). 

One suggestion could be lasagna gardening.  Put down some cardboard covering the area of a bed (cycle shops are a good source of big bits of cardboard apparently) and then cover with organic material.  Spent mushroom compost, rotted manure, compost,  grass clippings, sea weed - anything that used to be green basically.

You could plant straight into that - so over winter onions perhaps. 

There's some good advice http://www.allotment-garden.org/allotment-information/clearing-new-allotment/  on starting a plot here too.

It's up to you whether you use weedkiller or not.  I used it on where my paths were going to be just to get started.  And sometimes use it on an unruly bit of ground that is at the front of my plot - where I don't grow veg. 

madcat

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 14:21 »
Cant comment on the carpet, but the ivy is a very important wildlife food resource over the winter.  It is the last to flower and the berries are important in the Jan / Feb period. 

So wait till March, but before the birds start nesting, and cut it off carefully a bit above ground level and pull as much out as you can. The rest will die off eventually (you will cuss the leaves when they drop). Then you can prune the apple before it gets to growing  and shape it up nicely.  Give it a good feed and mulch to get it going.  You will have to keep an eye on the ivy and just keep cutting it back until it weakens and gives up.  With luck the apple will be so happy you will have loads of blossom and fruit next year.
All we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about (Charles Kingsley)

spike island

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 20:18 »
Cant comment on the carpet, but the ivy is a very important wildlife food resource over the winter.  It is the last to flower and the berries are important in the Jan / Feb period. 

So wait till March, but before the birds start nesting, and cut it off carefully a bit above ground level and pull as much out as you can. The rest will die off eventually (you will cuss the leaves when they drop). Then you can prune the apple before it gets to growing  and shape it up nicely.  Give it a good feed and mulch to get it going.  You will have to keep an eye on the ivy and just keep cutting it back until it weakens and gives up.  With luck the apple will be so happy you will have loads of blossom and fruit next year.
Thanks for the advice, will take it on board.

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2016, 20:49 »
Welcome from North Derbyshire.

As well as cycle shops for card board , try appliance retailers. The packaging is also useful for lining the compost bin, made from pallets of course as it helps protect the wood to a point and will eventually rot down.

Barrow load of info on these pages and plenty of brains to answer your questions.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2016, 21:30 »
Hi Spike definitely get rid of the carpet ASAP. I inherited a plot with carpet and it was a real pain to remove weeds etc. Suggest you chop it into manageable pieces and send to the dump. I would though suggest cardboard is ok and that you can cover some of the plot with black plastic either before or after preparing ground. At least this stops the weeds growing and allows you to tackle a small area without the rest going wild. Also suggest you explore having raised beds which again define the growing area and warm up quickly if you are lucky you may find some pre made kits being sold off in garden centres at the end of the season.

Good luck
HH
Keep digging

Trikidiki

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2016, 11:38 »
Don't go too heavy handed at pruning the apple if ithas neen neglected or you will end up with hundreds of 'water shoots'. Best to spread the regeneration over a couple of years.

xx
allotment covered in leaves!

Started by mctoon on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post November 20, 2015, 12:45
by Yorkie
xx
New Allotment plot that's covered in weed and grass.

Started by paul_holmes on Grow Your Own

28 Replies
Last post February 09, 2007, 09:58
by wellingtons
xx
my lettuces are covered in flys

Started by lindseykim13 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 13, 2008, 23:38
by compostqueen
xx
My peas are covered with rust

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2011, 16:57
by Broadhaven

Page created in 0.463 seconds with 32 queries.