Strawberries, I never thought I'd say this

• 20 Replies

J_B

• Experienced Member
  • Farmer J
Re: Strawberries, I never thought I'd say this
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 09:35 »
agree its been a great year  and i now distribute strawberries to all my neighbours....i do plan on using the runners to plant more for next year....and they look sooo good

Untitled.jpg

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 12:06 »
What varieties do you all have? I know I'm quite a long way north, but mine are still nowhere near ready! Mine are Elsanta(?), and I have loads of green strawbs, but still quite small, so I reckon it's 2-3 weeks before I'll get any.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2016, 12:51 »
What varieties do you all have? I know I'm quite a long way north, but mine are still nowhere near ready! Mine are Elsanta(?), and I have loads of green strawbs, but still quite small, so I reckon it's 2-3 weeks before I'll get any.
Ditto.  Although not quite as far north as you Lazza.  I managed to pick a cereal bowl's worth yesterday but as many have been chomped by slugs or just gone mouldy before being fully ripe.  There are loads of green ones that I'm hoping will be ok but this continuous rain isn't going to help.  Growing six different varieties I think,  as some were given to me of unknown variety.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2016, 13:14 »
I'veno idea. I've been propagating from runners off plants I planted about 12 years ago. I just replace the entire stock every three years from newly rooted runners.
I think we are ahead of the dark side :D of the Pennines because of the gloriously warm weather we had for a few weeks when you had dull, cold North Sea conditions at end May and early June

lazza

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2016, 13:39 »
I'veno idea. I've been propagating from runners off plants I planted about 12 years ago. I just replace the entire stock every three years from newly rooted runners.
I think we are ahead of the dark side :D of the Pennines because of the gloriously warm weather we had for a few weeks when you had dull, cold North Sea conditions at end May and early June

:tongue2:

fair enough. I replaced my strawberries a couple of years ago with completely new plants, and am expecting this year to be the peak year....! When you replace them, do you plant the new runners back in the same bed? I grow mine in a purpose-made raised bed in my back garden, where there is no room for another bed, so I have to plant back into the same bed, which worries me about the build up of disease. I try to replace the soil, but I am not sure that even this will be enough to prevent problems.

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2016, 14:24 »
Yes, not a good idea really, but I plant runners into the same bed as the mother plants occupied. I just add a few handfuls of Growmore in early spring. Might just start again for next year with a new bed and let the old bed exhaust itself before digging the old plants out and growing something else there

xx
After thought

Started by neil1967 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 19:53
by neil1967
xx
well who da thought it !

Started by starry on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 21, 2012, 21:07
by kermit
xx
Thought I was going mad

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 19:18
by Axe Victim
xx
Never thought I'd say this, this year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 18:51
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.446 seconds with 28 queries.