well who da thought it !

• 4 Replies

starry

well who da thought it !
« on: June 21, 2012, 14:35 »
I have been using John innes seed compost for most of this season and it hasn't done to badly but these last 2 months nearly every thing that I have sowed has failed  :(  so I decided to try a different compost (still for seeds)   and every thing that I have sowed in it has come up with in a few days and I always thought that John innes was the better choice but it has made me think again !!
some people are like slinkys......they're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face as you push them down the stairs!!

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: well who da thought it !
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2012, 14:37 »
If you look in the compost thread for this year, I've commented a couple of times on the brand of John Innes we have used, with undesirable results, this year. Won't be buying it again. ::)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2012, 18:03 »
John Innes is a formula for the composition of the different types of compost.  It isn't a brand as such.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

starry

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2012, 18:42 »
i do vaguely remember that argyllie I will go and search it out ! and yorkie I didn't realise that so there could be a difference in the quality ? I did found that when I watered it it became quite compact which I think could have been some of the trouble ??

kermit

• Experienced Member
  • Small garden, large raised beds
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2012, 21:07 »
i do vaguely remember that argyllie I will go and search it out ! and yorkie I didn't realise that so there could be a difference in the quality ? I did found that when I watered it it became quite compact which I think could have been some of the trouble ??

I had exact same experience last year. May well be to do with the brand rather than JI itself. Regardless, the cheap ordinary stuff (not peat free unfortunately) is doing the business this year. In terms of germination that is. The fact that nothing is growing further than seedlings is of course another matter  :mad:

xx
Thought I was going mad

Started by Aidy on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 22, 2007, 19:18
by Axe Victim
xx
After thought

Started by neil1967 on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post April 12, 2008, 19:53
by neil1967
xx
I thought jalapeno but this is too hot

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post September 30, 2008, 08:31
by Sharonx
xx
Never thought I'd say this, this year

Started by AlaninCarlisle on Grow Your Own

23 Replies
Last post April 25, 2014, 18:51
by RJR_38

Page created in 0.505 seconds with 36 queries.