chinese lettuce . . . . . .

• 18 Replies

shirazcat

« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 09:20 »
Hi all,
         Here`s two that you MUST grow this year, Osaka purple mustard greens & Giant Miike Mustard Greens, both available from the real seed company. I sowed these around the end of August about 6 of each & have been picking leaves off of them all Winter, they grow large oval leaves that are quite peppery when fresh, ideal in salads, & when cooked (like spinach) they loose a bit of the peppery flavour but taste great, ideal with fish. I have covered them with enviromesh to keep the pigeons off, but they have needed no attention whatsoever & just keep producing loads of leaves. A definite grow again this year, I will sow some in Spring to see if i can get an early crop, the thing not to do is sow in mid summer, they don`t like the heat.

Adrian.
life is too short for work

booboo

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2008, 20:29 »
I see your point Gobs, but seeing as I got the seeds for 60p (end of season clearance from Woolies) I want to see if I can get another year out of them to get even better value for money.

I'm not normally this stingy, honest...

gobs

« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2008, 20:41 »
I don't really have a point there, Booboo, just joking, they are prone to running to seed, damp, cool, fast growth you need. Only point I have you prob want to save seed from those which don't run to seed early. Which is a bit of a sacrifice. :)
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

booboo

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2008, 11:51 »
I've no idea which ones ran to seed so soon, and think I'll just be happy with what I've got and try to purchase the same seeds for this year.

Look forward to trying your recommendations as well ShirazCat, I'll all for growing things that are low maintenance and high yield!

xx
Chinese Cabbage

Started by twilight on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2012, 22:56
by Kirpi
xx
growing chinese veg

Started by alan/gill on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post November 01, 2015, 21:24
by honeymelon
xx
Chinese cabbage

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 28, 2022, 21:40
by Anton
xx
Chinese cabbage

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 19:04
by Jamie Butterworth

Page created in 0.502 seconds with 27 queries.