chinese lettuce . . . . . .

• 18 Replies

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
    • http://www.traffordangling.co.uk
« on: January 22, 2008, 00:05 »
anyone know if they are easy (ish) to grow and any ideas on where to get seed for them??? have googled but search results are poor (cra* lol)

:shock:

wanted mainly for the ducks rather than us lol  :D

Trillium

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:30 »
They're mostly easy to grow, provided you have rich soil, water regularly and it's cool. They don't like hot weather at all. They prefer to grow cool, fast and rich.

As for sources, you'll have to wait for someone in the UK to answer that.  :wink:

gobs

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 05:22 »
Almost every seed catalogue carries some variety, as I remember.

I don't find them easy at all, especially, just for the ducks, as they seem to be slugs' favourite around here and as Trill says they don't like it on the warm side much, when there is less such damage to seedlings.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

flatcap

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2008, 07:19 »
they are very easy to grow,i think i got my seeds from lidls last year.

our ducks loved them ,and there pretty quick growing.

if you have problems getting the seeds i will have a look in lidls when they get them in ,if you want any il post them to you.

brucesgirl

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2008, 08:51 »
There was a question about this on GQT on Sunday, you will be able to pick it up on the internet.
The main point was that they are easier to grow than brassicas, but should not be sown too early in the year.
We grow Pak Choi every year, and it is as simple as lettuce, just sow a few seeds a week to keep succession going, but don't start them till the ground is warm.
They can be fitted in amongst other plants as a catch crop and don't need to be fitted into the crop rotation scheme.
Last year we tried an early sowing (at Christmas) in a pot with fleece over, and although they did eventually grow large enough to eat, it really wasn't worth it as they were no earlier to pick than the ones we planted in late May in the ground.
Hope this helps - oh and we have seen loads of seeds for all this type of veg in garden centres and catalogues - but usually in the salad section not the cabbage section.
 :)

zepherine

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2008, 15:21 »
Kings have them listed under Oriental vegatables and Dobies have them listed at the end of the cabbages ..also called chinese leaves.

David.

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008, 17:23 »
Quote from: "Trillium"
They're mostly easy to grow, provided you have rich soil, water regularly and it's cool. They don't like hot weather at all. They prefer to grow cool, fast and rich.

Damn things keep keep frustrating my efforts, year, after year these days.

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008, 01:06 »
thanks for all the replies people !   :D  :D  :D

been away for a couple of days and only just caught up with my own thread lol, got a lidl or two nearby so will keep an eye out there and thanks for the offer too  :lol: i'll bear it in mind if i struggle to find them.

the soils good so thats a start and i'm just thinking ahead right now so thanks once again for all your replies !!

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2008, 12:09 »
well a lot of searching later  . . . . . . .  i'm still  no better off lol  :evil:

cannot find the one i am looking for, which is the one they sell in asda  . .  looks like ' chinese lettuce'/ oriental  is a bit of a rounded way of describing it as there appear to be a number of varieties that go under this name including celtuce and half a dozen that i cant remember the names of now lol.

might have to post a pic of one (got two in the fridge for the ducks) to assist in identification  :shock:

have googled for pics and just cant find a pic of one that looks remotely similar, none of them are as tightly packed as the ones i've been buying, so if anyones got any further clues for now feel free to ease the pressure in my head lol  :?

gobs

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2008, 12:26 »

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2008, 13:09 »
gobs you are my hero lol  :D  :D  :D

F1 Yuki apparently  . . . . . . .  . dont SOUND as nice as it looks lol   :shock:

thank you very much indeedy !!!

edit note: it says 'cabbage' when it clearly states ' lettuce' on the asda packaging  . . . . .  might be why i had a struggle finding it lol  :?

gobs

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2008, 14:11 »
You are welcome. Hope you have more joy with them than myself!

Get the ducks work for their food and get them slugging! :lol:

daveinmanc

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2008, 15:00 »
well, ya can only try  . . .  . as for slugs, cant remember the last time i saw one since we got the ducks, seen a few empty snail shells but they're getting rarer by the day lol  :shock:

booboo

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2008, 21:25 »
Grew some Pak Choi last year and whilst it grew fantastically I think it went in a bit late to get the best out of it (went in mid-October). It grew very quickly and the biggest problem was that I didn't thin it out quickly enough so it was a bit stifled.

Anyway, now it seems to be starting to grow seed/flower-like buds at the top and I was wondering if it's possible to get them to set seed and use that for next years crop?

Anyone had any success or tips about getting seeds from these? Don't have any photos at the moment but if required I can take some and post them here for identification.

gobs

« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2008, 22:01 »
Yes, they forever run to b***dy seed, never bothered collecting for anger and not wanting to repeat. Only would like to collect from the one that doesn't do that. :wink:  :lol:  :lol:

xx
Chinese Cabbage

Started by twilight on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 12, 2012, 22:56
by Kirpi
xx
Chinese cabbage

Started by Jamie Butterworth on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 20, 2011, 19:04
by Jamie Butterworth
xx
Chinese Cabbage

Started by gem on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 20, 2010, 20:33
by Trikidiki
xx
Chinese Cabbage

Started by pdblake on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post April 26, 2013, 10:23
by pdblake

Page created in 0.632 seconds with 28 queries.